• New Music from Mike Marshall & Caterina Lichtenberg - Third Journey

Mike Marshall & Caterina Lichtenberg - Third Journey

Adventure Music has announced an August 17 release for Mike Marshall & Caterina Lichtenberg entitled Third Journey.

About the new recording Mike and Caterina said, "On our first recording, Mike Marshall & Caterina Lichtenberg, we were simply trying to find common musical ground. It turned out that we both had an appreciation for Bach, Brazilian, Bulgarian and Bluegrass music. Those first trials were an explosion of joy, flirtation and inspiration. But of course, we eventually needed to look into the other letters of the alphabet for musical thrills. But no, our second CD, JS Bach, dove deep into the heart of our favorite composer Johann Sebastian Bach and we recorded all of his two-part inventions, organ duets and canons on mandolin and mandocello.

"Third Journey represents the natural settling that has occurred after years of playing and sharing a life together. We feel like we have settled into our own crazy musical voice that just feels like us. The bulk of the material is culled from mostly American musical forays with a bit of Bach and Brazil tossed in just because we couldn’t help ourselves. We hope you enjoy our Third Journey and that you appreciate our musical differences and bask in the moments where we all begin to realize how closely connected so many of these musical worlds really are, especially when musicians come together with mutual respect, love and admiration."

Listen

From the recording Third Journey, "Prelude from Partita #3 for Solo Violin in E Major," by Johann Sebastian Bach. Counterpoint composed by Mike Marshall.

Track Listing

• Elzic's Farewell
    • Prelude from Partita #3 for Solo Violin in E Major
    • Cat Got the Mouse
    • Diabinho Maluco
    • Mara’s Sleeping Song
    • Big Man from Syracuse
    • Borealis
    • Bokeh
    • Ground in C Minor
    • Queira-me Bem

Additional Information

Comments 13 Comments
      DougC -
      Not only super fine playing but it leaves a smile on my face. We sure are fortunate to have these two producing some great examples of what mandolins can do.
      Michael Neverisky -
      What DougC said. Looks like a fine set list!
      tkdboyd -
      Completely wonderful.
      Please tell me there is video of them playing this together!
      Jeff Hildreth -
      Fantastic!
      The very definition of Mandolin.
      Traveling Tracks -
      Not many people can "improve" on a Bach composition......MM is awesome. Love this duo!
      Jeff Hildreth -
      CD ordered this morning.
      Paul Statman -
      Sublime!
      Marcus CA -
      So glad they included Elzic’s Farewell. Their version is my absolute favorite!
      Charles E. -
      Quote Originally Posted by tkdboyd View Post
      Completely wonderful.
      Please tell me there is video of them playing this together!
      Mikes original tune "cat got the mouse".........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot2BZWGZS4g
      chuck3 -
      CD purchased - great playing!
      colorado_al -
      Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
      So glad they included Elzic’s Farewell. Their version is my absolute favorite!
      Love it with the mandolin and mandocello!
      https://open.spotify.com/track/2JIIzoY0xQUNtZWB6lGo7g
      BachGirl -
      For 10 years i have been reading and enjoying Mandolin Cafe posts, it is the liberalism that is applied to classical music that compelled me to post for the first time.. I am totally aware that I am going out on thin ice here, but i am asking all of you to apply your critical musicianship that you use so well with other styles of music to classical music as well.
      If this piece was played for fun in a live setting, I could have enjoyed the joke 100%, but to record this newly composed harmony set to a masterpiece, one has to be a marvellous composer. Most of the harmonies were ordinary and often did not fit the colouring of the piece, this is Bach, he has his own harmony pallete.
      As for the chosen tempo, to record a piece of music at a speed that one is not able to play 100% clean leaves me wondering, its forgivable if we sat in a bar and had fun trying to see who can race the mandolin best, they won.. . however in this recording , the speed kills all phrasing...
      One does not have to listen carefully to hear that one of the mandolins stumbles often behind and catches up, then those notes that sounded wrong- were they high on the neck and just out of tune.. not sure.. ...I am sorry i can not share your enthusiasm, I am underwhelmed.
      DougC -
      Quote Originally Posted by BachGirl View Post
      For 10 years i have been reading and enjoying Mandolin Cafe posts, it is the liberalism that is applied to classical music that compelled me to post for the first time.. I am totally aware that I am going out on thin ice here, but i am asking all of you to apply your critical musicianship that you use so well with other styles of music to classical music as well.
      If this piece was played for fun in a live setting, I could have enjoyed the joke 100%, but to record this newly composed harmony set to a masterpiece, one has to be a marvellous composer. Most of the harmonies were ordinary and often did not fit the colouring of the piece, this is Bach, he has his own harmony pallete.
      As for the chosen tempo, to record a piece of music at a speed that one is not able to play 100% clean leaves me wondering, its forgivable if we sat in a bar and had fun trying to see who can race the mandolin best, they won.. . however in this recording , the speed kills all phrasing...
      One does not have to listen carefully to hear that one of the mandolins stumbles often behind and catches up, then those notes that sounded wrong- were they high on the neck and just out of tune.. not sure.. ...I am sorry i can not share your enthusiasm, I am underwhelmed.
      I agree. At first listen, I was impressed and thought it a good effort at harmony and counterpoint. And I thought that it was fun to do such a project. And after listening a few more times, well it was no longer fun. And putting it on a commercial recording seemed inappropriate.