• D'Addario Announces Monel Mandolin String Sets

D'Addario Announces Launch of Monel Mandolin String Sets

Farmingdale, N.Y. — D'Addario has announced the launch of a new addition to their mandolin offerings with D'Addario Monel Mandolin string sets.

Monel is a classic nickel alloy that offers a balanced and natural tone popular among vintage enthusiasts. The new Monel Mandolin sets from D’Addario are offered in loop-end construction for universal fit, featuring consistent, high-quality strings that have an unprecedented tone and tuning stability.

These new Monel sets come in two gauges: the most popular gauge combination for mandolin (Medium, 11-40), as well as a medium plus set, which is a combination of gauges popularized by the legendary mandolin player Sam Bush (11, 14, 25, 41).

The D'Addario Monel Mandolin string sets are $18.50 MSRP / $11.99 MAP and are available now.

About D'Addario & Company

D'Addario & Company, Inc. is the world's largest manufacturer of musical instrument accessories marketed under several product divisions: D'Addario Fretted and Orchestral Strings, Evans Drumheads, Promark Drumsticks, Puresound, D'Addario Woodwinds, and D'Addario Accessories. A family-owned and operated business with roots dating back to the 17th century and 1,100 employees worldwide, the company manufactures 95% of its products in the U.S. employing Toyota's Lean manufacturing principles. D'Addario musical accessories are distributed in 120 countries, serve more than 3,000 U.S. retailers, all major e-commerce sites, and are the preferred choice of professional and serious amateur musicians worldwide including Keith Urban, Zac Brown, Alabama Shakes, Dave Matthews, Gary Clark Jr., Chris Thile, Ry Cooder, Joe Satriani + more.

Additional Information

D'Addario Announces Monel Mandolin String Sets
    Comments 23 Comments
      Mandolin Cafe -
      D'Addario has asked us if we'd like to give away some sets of these so we'll do so like other giveaways in the past where you can register. No set date yet but likely within the next 2-4 weeks.
      CES -
      Sweet! Can’t wait to try them out!!
      Dale Ludewig -
      Boy, that's perfect timing. I have a few sets of the Sam Bush Gibson strings sitting here and put one set on one of mine just yesterday. They were just the ticket for that mandolin. I was already wondering where I'd get more in the future. Problem solved!
      goose 2 -
      I hope the come in the J-75 string gauges!
      Ancient -
      Hope they also have a set for mandola.
      Paul Statman -
      I'm excited to try these. I quite enjoyed the GSB, and of late the Monel is/has been a rare find- in its mando set variant, at least! I like that these come in the tried-and-tested 11-15-26-40 in addition to the SB gauges set 11-14-25-41.
      We'll have to wait for the mandola sets, I imagine.
      Billgrass -
      How is the alloy different from Nickel Bronze which I’ve been using as a replacement for monel?
      yankees1 -
      Can't wait to try them from D'Addario and Monels from Curt Mangan and hear the difference, if any. Never used Monels before.
      ddawson2010 -
      Quote Originally Posted by goose 2 View Post
      I hope the come in the J-75 string gauges!
      Currently offering the Custom (Chris Thile) gauging. No plans for another as of yet. http://daddario.com/DADProductDetail...um_Plus__11_41
      ddawson2010 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Billgrass View Post
      How is the alloy different from Nickel Bronze which I’ve been using as a replacement for monel?
      Monel is approximately 65% nickel and copper whereas, our Nickel Bronze strings are a Nickel-Plated Phosphor Bronze string (Phosphor Bronze is 90% copper). Quite a different "recipe" if you will so sonically you'll find these to be less bright than the NB strings but still with a good punch. The mids will also be quite different, as I experience a much sharper mid-range with NB rather than the Monel but they do feel great!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
      Hope they also have a set for mandola.
      Currently no plans but i'll share your thoughts with our brand team.
      bradeasley -
      Quote Originally Posted by ddawson2010 View Post
      Currently offering the Custom (Chris Thile) gauging. No plans for another as of yet. http://daddario.com/DADProductDetail...um_Plus__11_41
      “String Gauges: Plain Steel .011/.011, 014/.014, Monel Wound .025/.025, .041/.041”

Looks like the Sam Bush gauges to me, not the Chris Thile gauges.
      MarkELynch -
      Currently no plans but i'll share your thoughts with our brand team.[/QUOTE]

Don,

I’m excited to try your Monel mandolin Strings, I’ve bought many teens and twenties Gibson that had very old Monel strings, some were probably 50 years old and still sounded remarkably good, not like new but still good.

I prefer to use the J73 gauges on the old A models and the J74 gauges on the modern F’s.
      I hope you will pass this request on to your design/marketing teams.

Thanks,
      Mark
      Paul Statman -
      Paul Statman -
      Quote Originally Posted by bradeasley View Post
      “String Gauges: Plain Steel .011/.011, 014/.014, Monel Wound .025/.025, .041/.041”

Zackly. I was about to post the same comment, but you beat me to it! Wouldn't Thile's set measure .0115-.015-.026-.040?
      Willie Poole -
      I checked them out on their website and they don`t list any prices...How can they sell anything if they don`t show what the cost will be? I`ll wait and maybe win a free set...

Willie
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
      I checked them out on their website and they don`t list any prices...How can they sell anything if they don`t show what the cost will be? I`ll wait and maybe win a free set...

Willie
      We'd hate to inconvenience anyone, but...

If you actually read the article linked to in the opening post--I mean really, who does that these days-- the truth will be revealed!
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Attachment 169491
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Attachment 169492
      yankees1 -
      I want to try these monel strings but not sure what gauge to order ! Any opinions on what sound to expect from these string gauges ?
      ddawson2010 -
      Quote Originally Posted by bradeasley View Post

Yep - i totally misspoke on that. I specifically went to the brand team after i posted and i knew this would pop up after talking to them. It is the Sam Bush gauge. Chris' would be ever so slightly different. (11.5, 16, 26, 40). My humble apologies for the misinformation.