• Gold Tone Announces New Mandocello Model

Gold Tone MandocelloTitusville, Fla. — Gold Tone is pleased to announce the release of their new Mandocello, expected to be available for purchase in mid-December.

This affordable "Folkternative" instrument offers deluxe features and wonderful acoustic and plugged-in tones.

The humbucker pickup and volume controls are attached to the pickguard, so for acoustic-only players, the pickguard may be removed and there will be no pickup or potentiometer holes in the top.

$824.50 MAPP price.

Specs

• Top: Solid Spruce
    • Back & Sides: Maple
    • Finish: Tobacco Sunburst
    • Fingerboard: Rosewood
    • Bridge: Adjustable Ebony
    • Tuners: Sealed Guitar-Style
    • Inlay: Dot
    • Truss Rod: Two-Way Adjustable
    • Binding: ABS
    • Hardware: Chrome
    • Tailpiece: Ebony w/ Metal String Retainer
    • Number of Frets: 20
    • Nut Width: 1-1/2"
    • Scale Length: 24-7/8"
    • Weight: 6lbs 4oz
    • Tuning: CGDA
    • Hard Case: Included
    • Left-Handed Available: No
    • Zero Glide Installed: Yes
    • Pickups: Magnetic Pickup and Bridge Transducer w/ Volume Control

An acoustic only video of the mandocello should be available in the next 30 days.

Additional Information

Comments 13 Comments
      KEB -
      Well this price point has my attention!

Any MC sponsors planning on getting them when they become available?
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Of the Cafe sponsors, Elderly, Morgan Music and The Music Emporium all carry Gold Tone products so the chances are good one of them will.
      dchernack -
      Still can't believe they put that pickup on there standard... but it's nice to have a mandocello with a street price under 1k nonetheless.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Elderly has indicated to us they are in the process of getting one up on their site for sale. Don't think they actually have it in stock but they're doing the prep for it so that's the answer to the opening question.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Note just in from Elderly: "We'll be fleshing it out and getting it on order ASAP."

http://www.elderly.com/gold-tone-mandocello.htm
      Don Grieser -
      Glad they made it with a mandocello nut width instead of a guitar width.
      Beanzy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
      Glad they made it with a mandocello nut width instead of a guitar width.
      That was my main concern too. It now looks like a pretty tidy package. (Must resist)
      Freddyfingers -
      Can't wait to not try one. No one near me would carry it. Will wait for one of the lucky here to give a hands on.
      Lorenzo LaRue -
      I'm confused by the overdubbing on the video example, it seems an over emphasis on what can actually be played on the instrument.
      Stompbox -
      Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo LaRue View Post
      I'm confused by the overdubbing on the video example, it seems an over emphasis on what can actually be played on the instrument.
      That looping is a horrid mess. Terrible.
      Classicalcomp -
      I'm happy to see a mandocello under $1000. Maybe more people will get one. This and the pono octave are blessings in a market with no low-cost alternatives. Hopefully they will be popular.
      Petrus -
      Really neat ... GT is known for some adventurous creations (baritone guitar, banjitar, dulciborne ... I like their four-string banjocello) but this might be out of my range this Holiday season. I'm usually leery of being a guinea pig on new models so maybe I'll wait and pick up a used one next year for $600 or whatever.

You could make some cool mods on this. An obvious one might be a second (bridge) pickup with three-way toggle (bridge, neck, mix.)
      Freddyfingers -
      And a Bigsby!