• Celebrating 21 Years on the Web

Mandolin Cafe logo from 1997

Mandolin Cafe circa 1996
    21 years ago today we fired up a state of the art 14.4k modem and uploaded version one of the Mandolin Cafe onto the world wide web. For those of you not old enough to remember what a modem is, be thankful. The entire site was less than 100K, far smaller than the page you're reading.

Six months prior to launch my wife Annie and I--typical computer nerd couple, me a techie, she's a graphic artist--attended a MacWorld conference in Boston. There was but one book at the show on how to build a web site. I brought it home, read it twice and never looked back.

21 years later to the date I'm busy at my computer working hard to ensure the success of the Mandolin Cafe... OK, not really.

At the moment, if all has gone as planned, I'm breaking camp on Day 3 with a one-man tent in Big Bend National Park (Texas) on their signature Outer Mountain Loop through the Chisos Mountain and across the daunting Dodson Trail. A wireless signal out there is but a dream.

This is my idea of fun.

Being off the grid is exhilarating, something I don't often do but relish. I pressed the publish button on this article a week ago. The hike ends this afternoon and if you're in the vicinity of Marathon, Texas tonight you can join me in celebration of 21 years of mandolin nuttiness at the historic Gage Hotel's White Buffalo bar. I'm buying. Big Bend Brewing Company's Oktoberfest is sublime and I'm hoping there's one on tap like last year.

I keep thinking I'm going to make a big deal out of these anniversaries, but I never do.

Some very good friends help run this site and deserve our collective gratitude. It's for them this article is meant.

My thanks to Ted Eschliman for leading the forum and for being a friend and mentor. Dan Beimborn for his expertise as a system administrator and programmer, allowing us to have features and the kind of speed and reliability that most large corporations can only dream of. Forum moderators Jamie Stanek and Charlie Jones for their valuable input and support of our members. Forum moderator Mike Edgerton who handles registration requests, a 24/7 job, and other various technical duties while I'm off the grid. Annie Tichenor for being my best friend, graphic artist and all-purpose business partner. If there's something that looks bad on the site, I'm responsible. If it looks good, she did it. And to Shannon Skye Tichenor, our musically talented college attending daughter who was not yet born when the site launched. She brought incredible new music into our house we never would have dreamed of hearing.

In 1996 I wrote words that still appear on our About page, and yes, still apply today more than ever:

We hope you enjoy your visit and find our site a welcome relief from the stress of life. Thank you for allowing us to indulge in this bit of fun.

Thanks for visiting. Here's to the next 21 years.

Scott, Annie & Shannon Tichenor and Mandolin Cafe staff
    Comments 47 Comments
      Paul Statman -
      Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Choppy View Post

Anyway, I'm late to the party but at least I brought a card....

Attachment 151612
      That's some beautiful work there, Uncle Choppy!
      Uncle Choppy -
      Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
      That's some beautiful work there, Uncle Choppy!
      Thanks Mandopixie. Just messing about with ideas. Should really be playing but listening to myself if something of an ...err... acquired taste!
      Paul Statman -
      Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Choppy View Post
      Thanks Mandopixie. Just messing about with ideas. Should really be playing but listening to myself is something of an ...err... acquired taste!
      I hear you (no pun intended), but listening to and/or watching yourself recorded is also one of the best ways to improve one's playing. Just ask Mike Marshall!
      JEStanek -
      In a modern web of all about ME, I'm very proud to be part of a diverse community that's about the instrument and the music we all make with it. Here's to years of continued Mandolin Cafe community.

Jamie
      Jack Roberts -
      Thank you for Mandolin Cafe. 21 years ago I had not discovered the joys of Mandolin yet. I started playing Mandolin around 15 years ago, and my life has been better because of Mandolin Cafe and my love of our favorite musical instrument.
      Thanks again, and well done!
      Gelsenbury -
      I'm very late, but I've always been slow. Happy anniversary and thank you for everything!
      Stacey Morris -
      I just now saw this thread and wanted to add my "happy anniversary and thank you" to all the others here. This site has really been good for a beginner. Enjoy being off the grid whenever you can. Most of us don't get many opportunities.