• First 50 Songs You Should Play on Mandolin

First 50 Songs You Should Play on Mandolin
    Milwaukee, Wi. — The Hal Leonard Corporation has announced the publication of First 50 Songs You Should Play on Mandolin, set in standard notation and tablature for mandolin, by Fred Sokolow.

Book features melody, lyrics, and chord diagrams. Skill level is for beginners.

Song List

• Amazing Grace
    • Arkansas Traveler
    • Arrivederci Roma (Goodbye To Rome) (from the Motion Picture Seven Hills of Rome)
    • The Battle Of Evermore
    • Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain
    • Blue Moon Of Kentucky
    • Careless Love
    • Come Back To Sorrento
    • Crazy
    • Cripple Creek
    • Folsom Prison Blues
    • Friend Of The Devil
    • Going To California
    • Hallelujah (featured in Shrek)
    • Ho Hey
    • I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow (featured in O Brother, Where Art Thou?)
    • I Walk The Line
    • I Will Wait
    • I'll Fly Away
    • In The Jailhouse Now
    • Jambalaya (On The Bayou)
    • Losing My Religion
    • Maggie May
    • Mandolin Wind
    • Mr. Bojangles
    • 'O Sole Mio
    • Old Joe Clark
    • Poor Wayfaring Stranger
    • Redemption Song
    • Return To Me
    • Ripple
    • Rocky Top
    • Roll In My Sweet Baby's Arms
    • Rye Whiskey
    • Santa Lucia
    • Soldier's Joy
    • Somewhere, My Love (Lara's Theme from Doctor Zhivago)
    • Speak Softly, Love (Love Theme) (from the Paramount Picture The Godfather)
    • Take Me Home, Country Roads
    • Tarantella
    • Tennessee Waltz
    • That's Amore (That's Love) (from the Paramount Picture The Caddy)
    • Turkey In The Straw
    • Volare
    • Wagon Wheel
    • Whiskey Before Breakfast
    • Wildwood Flower
    • Will The Circle Be Unbroken
    • Yesterday
    • Your Cheatin' Heart

Additional Information

Comments 11 Comments
      Londy -
      Wonder if this is in standard notation with fret chords over. Anyone have this book yet?
      WELSrev -
      Follow the links to the Elderly website and you will have your answer. They show page samples.
      JeffD -
      It says notation, tab, chord diagrams, lyrics.
      John MacPhee -
      Hi all, I just bought the online version and to be honest I was disappointed. The notation is about 3 bars per song. I must admit that I do prefer notation to tab but that's just me.
      I am interested to hear from anyone that buys a hard copy to see if the material is the same.
      Regards
      John
      Mark Gunter -
      Quote Originally Posted by John MacPhee View Post
      Hi all, I just bought the online version and to be honest I was disappointed. The notation is about 3 bars per song. I must admit that I do prefer notation to tab but that's just me.
      I am interested to hear from anyone that buys a hard copy to see if the material is the same.
      Regards
      John
      Hi John, when looking at the sample pages at Elderly, that appears to be the case, though only a few are shown. I checked out the sample pages at Amazon, which are the e-version as you've bought, and can certainly see why you'd be disappointed. This could still be a valuable resource, but not suited for someone who's interested in seeing the music in notation. At least I can see that mandolin solos are included in TAB a few pages in, that is not evident from the pages I saw at the Elderly site.
      JEStanek -
      Well, this is for the brand new mandolinist! Seems like a good collection to get started and play songs that actually sound like songs instead of trying to play Muleskinner Blues on my brand new mandolin.

Jamie
      lflngpicker -
      Thank you for the great information! A good list indeed. Now for the fiddle tunes? he-he
      JEStanek -
      Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
      Thank you for the great information! A good list indeed. Now for the fiddle tunes? he-he
      Maybe get the the Mandolin/ Fiddler Fakebook.
      John MacPhee -
      Thanks Mark for your comments and I suppose if I wanted to I could transpose the tab to notation, might be good practice.
      It is still a good resource.
      Cheers
      John
      s1m0n -
      Hallelujah (featured in Shrek)
      Egads. I suppose that must mean L. Cohen`s much-covered masterpiece. What a thing to be known for.
      JeffD -
      Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
      Oh my. In a separate thread or PM I will list for you a whole metric ton of fiddle tune books.