• Mandolin Cafe Announces Launch of Banjo Cafe

Banjo Cafe
    Lawrence, Kans. — The Mandolin Cafe is proud to announce the launch of the Banjo Cafe at banjocafe.net, its companion web site for banjo.

The Banjo Cafe will be administered by Charlie Schwartz of Lawrence, Kans., a long-time friend of the Mandolin Cafe.

Under construction for the past 15 months the site includes a community Forum (blogs, events calendar, social groups, content management tools and more), a mirror of the Mandolin Cafe Classifieds (ads posted on either site appear simultaneously on both), a News area with a wealth of articles containing industry news and interviews, a comprehensive database of banjo builders with 280 entries, a historical database with over 1,100 entries, comprehensive lists of banjo camps & workshops, and many more resources.

Charlie shared with us in his own words, "In 1978 as a high school student my parents allowed me to drive from our home in Great Bend, Kansas to the Rocky Mountain Bluegrass Festival in Colorado. I spent the weekend playing banjo alongside a musician about my age. It wasn't until the end of the festival that I found his name was Scott Tichenor and he lived about an hour from where I lived.

"We immediately started hanging out and playing music and have been friends since. I watched with interest from day one when the Mandolin Cafe launched. It took me a year to talk him into agreeing to build the site. He told me I was nuts and had no idea what I was getting myself into. He was right.

"We worked on content for a year and held a silent launch behind password protection January 1, 2016, operating the site full-time as if open to the public. We've been gathering and publishing news, building industry and artist relationships, attending festivals and banjo related events and involving a few select people in our plans. We're three months along operating the site with a significant amount of content that's growing daily. Anyone familiar with the reliable stream of information that emanates from the Mandolin Cafe will know what to expect from us.

"Although there are similarities between the two sites, the Banjo Cafe has its own identity and I'm really excited about it. The main common theme is, like the Mandolin Cafe does for mandolins, we honor and will promote equally all kinds of music, musicians, builders and instruments.

"I'm sure my interest in the banjo was planted early on, since my grandpa played the 5-string. Some of my earliest memories are of him playing his banjo and his records of Uncle Dave Macon, whom he greatly admired and even got to see once. I didn't think much about it as a kid, although I did think it was kind of cool, since I was a city kid and I was the only one I knew who had a grandpa who lived in the Ozarks and was a "hillbilly." I didn't actually start to get interested in playing the banjo until I heard my uncle, who was a guitar player, pick with a Bluegrass banjo player at a music shop in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. A few months later my dad gave me my first banjo for my 15th birthday, and from then on I was hooked."

Visitors to the Banjo Cafe can immediately enjoy the first two parts of an original three-part series on Earl Scruggs' banjos authored by Joe Spann and Steve Huber, an interview with Irish supergroup We Banjo 3 and dozens of news releases about upcoming events, new recordings and new publications. Expect a feature interview with rising Canadian clawhammer player Kaia Kater some time in a few weeks, and information on J.D. Crowe's induction into the American Banjo Hall of Fame in September. And of course you'll want to pick up some Banjo Cafe case stickers — they're free.

The Banjo Cafe has partnered with Gold Tone and D'Addario to give away a Gold Tone WL-250 banjo with registration beginning April 15. A detailed announcement will be published Monday, April 4. There's much more in store waiting to be published, but we'll save those announcements for later.

Don't miss a special feature article with pictures of a very young Jens Kruger photographed playing bluegrass in the streets of Lucerne, Switzerland in 1983. The photos were taken by a college graduate student named Charlie Schwartz, in Europe on a study abroad program.

Additional information

Comments 56 Comments
      Clement Barrera-Ng -
      Brillant! Even got the free case stickers to boot!
      Phil Vinyard -
      I think you should pre-load the Forum with a few strings: "Are Blue Chip Pics worth the price", "Would Bill...I mean Earl...have played it that way?", "I'm a newbie--should I buy a $100 banjo?" and throw in a few banjos for sale thinly disguised as forum posts.
      Ed Rosney -
      I have some concerns that this could lead to an increase in BAS (Banjo Acquisition Syndrome).
      Annette Siegel -
      Last night I had a dream...that there was peace between mandolin and banjo players!

Thanks for the fun Scott!!
      Tobin -
      I'm all over this!
      MikeEdgerton -
      Guys, it's real. It took months to get that ready.
      Gary Leonard -
      The Domain lookup shows banjocafe.net domain created 20-Feb-2015, and expires 5 years later. DNS hosted by same host as mandolin café. Unfortunately, it looks legit..

On a side note, was at a jam last Monday, someone almost left a mandolin banjo in the bar. I caught the guy before he left, he was rather upset I stopped him and called him out for trying to leave it there.
      WireBoy -
      so, is this year's Aprils Fool's prank an anti-prank?

choosing April 1 for a serious companion web site launch is awfully suspect. maybe that is the prank. and maybe it's just a little window into the soul of real banjo players....
      MikeEdgerton -
      The best part of this whole thing is what happens when you create an account. You folks that have already done it don't give it away.
      JEStanek -
      Back in 2000 when I was about to start my musical instrument playing as an adult thing, I was seriously torn between clawhammer banjo and mandolin. I had been at a jam after the Philadelphia Folk Festival and sat watching Tom, Brad and Alice and Brad Stober's clawhammer hooked me. I also spent time sitting right between Matt Glaser (head of strings at Berklee and with the Wayfaring Strangers) on my left and Chris Thile on my right on mandolin.

I think the smaller size of the mandolin won me over in the moment. I still love clawhammer banjo. This new site living into the philosophies that made the Mandolin Cafe such a wonderful resource to me will do the same for the banjo. It's a great resource.

Jamie
      Tobin -
      I'm looking forward to my Banjo Cafe hat, as soon as they release it for sale. But I'm not sure what will happen if I wear it when playing my mandolin. Thus far, I haven't tried wearing my Mandolin Cafe hat while playing the banjo. It might cause a fire.
      Jim Abrams -
      Funny day to launch a new website but that, I'm assuming, is the point--keep everyone guessing. I'm a member of Tony Trischka's School of Banjo over at ArtistWorks. I just provided the link to BC in the Shout Outs forum. If it's not real I'm going to feel pretty silly.
      MikeEdgerton -
      You won't feel silly, it's real. Thanks.
      Gary Leonard -
      Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
      The best part of this whole thing is what happens when you create an account. You folks that have already done it don't give it away.
      I think membership just jumped up by 100%..
      Jim Gallaher -
      Banjo Cafe: There is no escape! Don't make me destroy you. Cafe Users, you do not yet realize your importance. You've only begun to discover your power! Join me, and I will complete your training! With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict, and bring order to the musical galaxy.

Mandolin Cafe: I'll never join you!

Banjo Cafe: If only you knew the power of the banjo. Bill never told you what happened to his mandolin.

Mandolin Cafe: He told me enough! He told me it was beaten with a fireplace poker!

Banjo Cafe: No, it was a banjo.

Mandolin Cafe: [shocked] No. No! That's not true! That's impossible!

Banjo Cafe: Search your feelings; you know it to be true!

Mandolin Cafe: NOOOOOOO! NOOOOOOOO!!!

Banjo Cafe: ManCafe, you can destroy the Emperor Nashville. He has foreseen this. It is your destiny! Join me, and together, we can rule the musical galaxy as father and son! Come with me. It is the only way.
      fatt-dad -
      irony for the Fools!

Classic!

f-d
      MikeEdgerton -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gary Leonard View Post
      I figured that if everybody thought it was an April Fool's day stunt, why not?
      Jess L. -
      Quote Originally Posted by WireBoy View Post
      so, is this year's Aprils Fool's prank an anti-prank?

choosing April 1 for a serious companion web site launch is awfully suspect. maybe that is the prank. ...
      A reverse-April-Fools thing actually seems like a cleverly brilliant marketing strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by WireBoy View Post
      ... and maybe it's just a little window into the soul of real banjo players....
      fhaz -
      I miss the Bass Pro mandolin. What was it called, the bassolin? Maybe next year the Bass Pro banjo, the ultimate bottom feeder... Hat's off to the MC folks. Brilliant launch.
      Charles E. -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gary Leonard View Post
      Riiiiiiiight......