• Danny Knicely & Jack Dunlap: Chop, Shred & Split - A Mandolin Player's Apprenticeship

Danny Knicely & Jack Dunlap: Chop, Shred & Split - A Mandolin Player’s ApprenticeshipDanny and Jack were paired together through the VA Folklife Alliance, and after Jack interned with Danny for about 9 months they decided to produce a mandolin duet album with songs that range from bluegrass to old time, to gypsy jazz and swing, to polka to funk, and all the way to a tribute to South Indian mandolin player U. Srinivas. The album includes originals from the duo and cover tunes from artists like Benny Goodman and Tchavolo Schmitt.

Chop, Shred & Split - A Mandolin Player's Apprenticeship, is a new album of mandolin duets from Danny Knicely and Jack Dunlap.

An apprenticeship funded by the Virginia Folklife Program and the National Endowment for the Arts, between master mandolinist Knicely and the amazing young Jack Dunlap, from Bud's Collective resulted in these unique and lively mandolin duets.

Selections

• Woodpecker Polka
    • Shakin’ Down The Acorns
    • Funky Wolverine Breakdown
    • Big Red
    • Jack O’ Lantern
    • Breakfast Feud
    • Lil’ Yadkin River Breakdown
    • Wish U. Was Here
    • Six on Four
    • Tchavolo Swing
    • The Waltz of Tears

On the project Danny Knicely plays mandolin, guitar, bass. Jack Dunlap plays mandolin, octave mandolin, guitar and bass.

Jack O'Lantern

From the recording Chop, Shred & Split - A Mandolin Player's Apprenticeship the track Jack O'Lantern, a Jack Dunlap original.

Additional information

Comments 14 Comments
      Russ Jordan -
      whoa Nelly!!!
      AlanN -
      Double that! Just snatched this bad boy, from Danny. What playing!
      mando.player -
      Nominee for "Best Album Name" of the year.
      mmukav -
      Nice!!
      John Soper -
      These 2 make great music!
      Jeff Rezin -
      Every cut on this is a mandolin player's thrill. They show the variety and capability of the instrument in a most entertaining way.
      Tommcgtx -
      Knicely done! (Someone had to) I think this is my new favorite.
      9lbShellhamer -
      Great stuff. Love it!
      Glassweb -
      Impressive! It's amazing to hear how many players these days can play with such speed and clarity. Back in the 1970's I can't think of any player (other than maybe Andy Statman) who could play with such blistering technique. I guess chops like this are the new "normal" for all of Chris Thile's "offspring"!
      AlanN -
      Yes, the CT-era ushered in many phenoms, but...Danny I believe pre-dates that era, and Emory Lester, Alan Bibey and Dave Peters can/could do the burn in similar fashion. Regardless, the playing on that one cut is marvy. Looking forward to the whole CD.
      Scott Tichenor -
      These guys are not anyone's "offspring." Come on Steve, you know better. The old traditional bluegrass curmudgeon side of you is coming through.

Never heard David Harvey unload in the late 70s or early 80s and make a banjo player sweat? Saw it in person. Thile wasn't even born then. Or Bobby Clark, or Mark O'Connor, or Paul Glasse in the International Mandolin Championships in the early 80s. John McGann at Winfield. Lots of people were playing like that pre and post-Thile birth before he held a mandolin, still are. I could list many more. Wait... I remember these two young guys named Grisman something and Marshall something. They could burn. Not a new phenomenon, but it is a new observation. Apparently.

I'm off to another thread now. Sorry, won't have time to respond to comments. Someone observed Vince Gill can't play mandolin. I want to hear all about that.
      Charles E. -
      There is something in the water up in the Charlottesville - Harrisonburg Va. area that produce some mighty fine mandolin players. I have had the pleasure of seeing Danny at festivals over the years and his playing blow's my mind every time.

Looking forward to getting this recording.
      Bertram Henze -
      Thanks for the heads-up. Just downloaded the album.
      Jammer61 -
      This is a superb recording. From the variety of the repertoire through to the creativity and virtuosity of the playing, Danny and Jack just lay it down. It's also well recorded - the sonic reproduction of the Mandolins sound great either in the car or on a nice stereo at home.