• ABBA Greatest Hits for Mandolin Tribute Released

All-Star Instrumental ABBA Great Hits Mandolin Tribute Released

Nashville, Tenn. — 7-Eleven and Circle K Convenience Stores have announced a partnership resulting in the release of All-Star Instrumental ABBA Greatest Hits Mandolin Tribute, available exclusively at convenience stores nation-wide.

The Swedish pop group ABBA, formed in Stockholm in 1972 by Agnetha Fältskog, Björn Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson, and Anni-Frid Lyngstad derives the group's moniker from the first letter in each of their names.

Contacted for reaction to the recording's release, veteran bluegrass mandolinist Mike Compton told us, "It's no secret in the bluegrass and old-time world that ABBA gets played late into the night on those long drives to the next gig. There's something about their vocals, the lyrics, the hooks, everything just lines up right. On top of it, the way they dressed is right up there with the best Jimmy Martin suits and hats."

"Mike is 100% correct," said New York City based jazz mandolin and violinist Aaron Weinstein, contacted for his reaction. "The melodies are subtle and become ingrained in your soul. I am proud to say I've been deeply influenced by this 70s pop band that was formed long before I was born. Their famed recording 'Dancing Queen' which I've privately played for years will be the title track on an upcoming new album!"

Veteran bluegrass mandolinist Ronnie McCoury told us, "We've all browsed those cassette tapes and CDs in convenience stores late at night while traveling to our next gig. I'm excited more than I could possibly convey that my name will be on this recording for posterity."

"Their music is right up there will John Coltrane, The Beatles and Bill Monroe," said Brooklyn based mandolin and clarinet legend Andy Statman.

For a limited time get a free extra-large Slurpee with your purchase of the recording. Offer ends April 8.

Track Listing and Musicians

• Dancing Queen - Rhonda Vincent
    • Summer Night City - Ronnie McCoury
    • Angeleyes - Sierra Hull
    • The Day Before You Came - Emory Lester
    • Eagle - Sam Bush
    • I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do - Tristan Scroggins
    • So Long - Andy Statman
    • Honey, Honey - Aaron Weinstein
    • The Visitors - Joe K. Walsh
    • Ring Ring - Mike Compton
    • When I Kissed the Teacher - David Benedict
    • The Way Old Friends Do - Wayne Benson & Alan Bibey

Additional Information

Comments 32 Comments
      colorado_al -
      Nice! Picked mine up this morning.
      Jstring -
      I think “Mama Mia” should have been included on this ground-breaking album. Carlo Aonzo would have done a great job!
      Tom D -
      You had me at Slurpee.
      MikeZito -
      At first glance it looks like some kind of gag that you would expect to see on Saturday Night Live . . . now, I will have to swing by and check it out.
      Teak -
      I broke into my local 7-11 last night and got my advance copy. I just wish that they would have had Sam Bush doing "S.O.S." instead of "Eagle". His solo on"Eagle" just didn't take off.
      BrianWilliam -
      Want!
      bigskygirl -
      Yessss! If only there was a 7-Eleven nearby, I’ll have to wait for a copy to show up in the Cafe classifieds...
      colorado_al -
      Sweet! There's a hidden track at the end with David Grisman Quintet playing Take A Chance On Me/Waterloo
      George R. Lane -
      Alas, no 7-11 or Circle K in my area. I will wait till it is sold on late night TV.
      Jim Garber -
      Rumor has it that Mel Bay is issuing the transcriptions of all the songs here along with TAB. I am looking forward for that, for sure.
      Trav'linmando -
      Yup, got my copy in Blue Earth Minnesota today. Blue Earth is home to the famous 60' tall Jolly Green Giant. Eat those peas kids, don't pick at them.
      dshipp -
      Great concept, but don't you think they should have used an up-to-date photo for the cover?

Attachment 166397
      jesserules -
      Quote Originally Posted by dshipp View Post
      Great concept, but don't you think they should have used an up-to-date photo for the cover?

Attachment 166397
      Good to see Mike has finally broken out of the overalls rut.
      Kay Kirkpatrick -
      I was out and about today, stopped by two 7-Elevens and two Circle Ks. Looks like the CD hasn't made it to the OKC metro, which, of course, makes me want it all the more.
      Cremona5 -
      I'll take two copies in 8-track!
      Teak -
      Quote Originally Posted by Cremona5 View Post
      I'll take two copies in 8-track!
      I hear that they're going with the Betamax platform.
      MikeZito -
      Call me crazy, but that look works on Rhonda Vincent . . . .
      MANNDOLINS -
      I also hear that they were kicking off a tour ..with Elvis Costello...haven't decided who is lead act yet..the promo just said to wait until they are in your area then google Abba and Costello to see who is on first
      Cremona5 -
      Quote Originally Posted by MANNDOLINS View Post
      I also hear that they were kicking off a tour ..with Elvis Costello...haven't decided who is lead act yet..the promo just said to wait until they are in your area then google Abba and Costello to see who is on first
      Well played.
      MissingString -
      Great Photoshop efforts. That’s really funny.