• Robin Bullock: J.S. Bach - Suites For Mandolin, Vol. One

Robin Bullock: J.S. Bach - Suites For Mandolin, Vol. One

Dancing Wolf Records has announced the release of J.S. Bach - Suites For Mandolin, Vol. One, by Robin Bullock.

Since their rediscovery in the late 19th century by legendary cellist Pablo Casals, Bach's Suites for Solo Cello have been celebrated as unquestioned masterpieces of the Baroque era, in the repertoire of virtually every cellist as well as being adapted for many instruments, but never before has the complete cycle been recorded on mandolin.

This volume contains the first three Suites, performed on Gibson mandolins from 1920, 1921 and 1909 respectively, and volume two will follow with Suites four through six.

Listen

From the recording, Allemande from Suite No. 2.

Selections

Suite No. 1 (BWV 1007)

• Prelude
    • Allemande
    • Courante
    • Sarabande
    • Minuets I & II
    • Gigue

Suite No. 2 (BWV 1008)

• Prelude
    • Allemande
    • Courante
    • Sarabande
    • Minuets I & II
    • Gigue

Suite No. 3 (BWV 1009)

• Prelude
    • Allemande
    • Courante
    • Sarabande
    • Bourées I & II
    • Gigue

Additional Information

Comments 3 Comments
      Mandolin Cafe -
      This is a really gorgeous recording, very well played. Quite an effort to record it all.

Anyone interested, we've posted a link to the entire collection in standard notation many times on the site. Here's that link.
      Scot63 -
      I recently purchased this wonderful recording after listening to the sample above. I heartily recommend it. Suite 2 was the biggest revelation to me. Originally recorded in D minor, it's perhaps the most heart-rending of the cello suites (especially the stark Sarabande, flirting as it does with atonality and despair—one of those pieces when Bach sounds like a contemporary composer). I was impressed with how Bullock's tone makes up for the lack of legato; all three mandolins he deploys are lovely, but bravo, Coyote!
      Gary Alter -
      I have to agree, I recently received this CD, an absolutely wonderful recording!