• The Charlie Derrington Interview

Charlie Derrington InterviewFebruary 25, 1986 shortly after Bill Monroe was reunited with his July 9, 1923 Lloyd Loar signed Gibson F-5 mandolin (serial #73987) post-repair, photojournalist Scott Wright and Dave Higgs captured the following Charlie Derrington interview at the Gibson factory where the work on the mandolin was performed.

As with other videos from the Scott Wright collection, this is the first public viewing and due to the important historical nature of the video it has been left intact as filmed that day.

Lifelong bluegrass musicians and fans of Monroe's music, Higgs and Wright, both Denver based, were in Nashville to capture the events surrounding the return of Monroe's mandolin. Their efforts included over an hour of video.

From the audio we know the interview was conducted shortly after the presentation of the mandolin.

Of special note near the end of the video is work being performed on the second of Monroe's mandolins, serial #72214, dated February 26, 1923. Both instruments were vandalized November 13, 1985.

While Monroe's July 9, 1923 mandolin is on display at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum (see our feature article from 2010 with an interview with Mick Buck, museum curatorial director), the second mandolin's whereabouts is not known to the general public.

The Story of Monroe's Gouged Headstock

Unrelated to the Derrington Interview, but of interest to the history sorrounding Bill Monroe's mandolin, the following audio segment is Monroe talking about acquiring his famous mandolin and subsequent relationship with Gibson over the years when the headplate was replaced. Thanks to Bruce Harvie and the Mandolin Archive for the audio.

Additional Information

Comments 34 Comments
      MikeEdgerton -
      If you're behind a corporate firewall it's probably blocked. Vimeo and Youtube are blocked on my network.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
      I also heard it was stolen from Bill's son James?
      Not the rumor we heard. If it was stolen people would know and folks would be looking for it. Not the case.
      William Smith -
      That is what I heard, I don't remember who told me that but now I know it's out there hopefully being played!
      Mando-Mauler -
      I can recall an article in ( I think) a Frets magazine wherein Mr. Derrington had just received the iconic F5 for repair. There were plenty of good photographs It was also the 1st time I had seen Photoshop results. Bit of a joke I suppose. The mando was rebuilt step by step by morphing the repairs photographically until ....da da - there was Bill's F5 in pristine condition. I still have the magazine in my chaotic library somewhere. Can any of y'all out there in Mandoland remember this article? It might be worth giving it a rerun in this thread. Roger Siminoff might be the guy to contact, because if it was in a Frets publication, he was running that show at the time ( I think - don't hold me to that)
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Noting the first anniversary of this one-of-a-kind interview that was never seen before its publication.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Noting today's anniversary of this remarkable video only found here, published this date 2017!
      Mandolin Cafe -
      An always sad but interesting viewing and read. Published this day 3 years ago.
      V70416 -
      Back before Charlie worked for Gibson when he had his own repair shop, he did some work on two Gilchrists I had then.
      He was interested in those Australian mandos. I think he wanted to buy one.

I feel lucky to have his signature on a label inside my '04 Gibson F5.

He left us way too soon. May he rest in peace.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Noting the anniversary of this rare interview published 4 years ago today.

And, this and the other tapes from the Scott Wright collection, including Monroe receiving his mandolin back post-repair at the Gibson factory we were entrusted with a few years back to convert to digital have a new home that has the ability to preserve and display this kind of content for future generations. We'll be making an announcement about this at some point in the near future.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      It's the anniversary of the fireplace poker incident!
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Noting the anniversary of the feature.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      It's the anniversary of the infamous "fireplace poker" incident!
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Noting the anniversary of this feature.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Noting the anniversary of this one-of-a-kind feature.