• New Music from Tim Connell - MandAlone

Tim Connell - MandAlone

Portland, Or. — Tim Connell has announced the release of MandAlone, 10 New Arrangements for Solo Mandolin.

Coinciding with the release of the recording is a companion book of transcriptions set in standard notation and tablature, all carefully transcribed by Connell.

After years of collaboration with the likes of guitarist Eric Skye and with his own Latin and gypsy-jazz ensembles, Tim's debut solo album is literally a solo mandolin album — just his Arrow mandolin and a pair of Neuman KM-184 microphones.

On the recording Connell performs ten of his original arrangements for mandolin and follows them with J.S. Bach's entire first Suite for Solo Cello.

The eclectic repertoire on the recording includes three Beatles songs, three Brazilian choros, three film/TV themes and one Charlie Parker tune.
    MandAlone - new arrangements for solo mandolin
    "These arrangements came about naturally as I was tinkering with my mandolin, coming at the instrument with my history of playing classical piano and jazz bass, trying to see how much of all that harmony I could fit under a melody with only four strings," said Connell.

"After years of refining them and developing a lot of interesting sounds on the mandolin, I finally decided I had enough there to record them in an artistically interesting way. I'm very happy with the sound and feel of this album.”

Selections

• Odeon (Nazareth)
    • Here Comes the Sun (Harrison)
    • Lara's Theme (Jarre)
    • Something (Harrison)
    • Somewhere Over the Rainbow (Arlen/Harburg)
    • Floraux (Nazareth)
    • Christmastime is Here (Guaraldi)
    • Yesterday (Lennon/McCartney)
    • Choro Negro (Vianna)
    • Yardbird Suite (Charlie Parker)

On CD only: Suite #1 for Solo Cello by J.S. Bach.

Both CD and book of transcriptions are available for purchase exclusively from Tim's web site.

Additional Information

Comments 6 Comments
      Franc Homier Lieu -
      I really thought I would never hear another play on the word mandolin that did not make me groan. Mandalone. Well done!

I might well break my vow of 'no more mandolin books until you use the 30 you already have' for this one.
      Michael Neverisky -
      Nice arrangement and fabulous playing!
      LadysSolo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Franc Homier Lieu View Post
      I really thought I would never hear another play on the word mandolin that did not make me groan. Mandalone. Well done!

I might well break my vow of 'no more mandolin books until you use the 30 you already have' for this one.
      LOL!!! I thought I was the only one collecting mandolin books and not ever getting clear through them (although in my defense I have played a few pieces from every book I have.) I keep meaning to get completely through them all! I too may have to add to my collection!
      Northwest Steve -
      I have meet and heard Tim on a few occasions. Terrific player and a great guy.
      darylcrisp -
      went to his website and listened to each one, wow, worth the cost for the Beatles tunes alone. Love his arrangement for Yesterday.

ordered up!
      and I'm in the "not buying anymore mandolin books until I do more with what I've got" club(lol) (I honestly find it worthwhile if I find one tune I really like in a whole book-its worth that alone)

d
      LadysSolo -
      Received "Mandalone" today, he was very quick to ship it out. Thanks Tim! I hope to get to try some of the tunes later tonight or tomorrow!