• GHS Strings Introduce Pure Nickel Mandolin Strings

GHS Strings Introduce Pure Nickel Mandolin Strings

Battle Creek, Mich. – GHS Strings is pleased to introduce their new Pure Nickel Mandolin strings.

GHS Strings has created their new Pure Nickel Mandolin strings in conjunction with mandolin players, for both the traditional and modern musician. They deliver a warm, rich, vintage sound with a superior, long lasting tone.

The strings custom gauges were chosen to provide a more balanced sound and give a comfortable feel across fingers and fretboard. They are perfect for players looking for authentic tone on vintage mandolins, or wanting more richness and depth of tone from new mandolins. The new Pure Nickel Mandolin strings are available in two gauge sets, from 010 1/2-039 to 011-041.

Pure Nickel strings were commonly available in the 1950s and 60s. Their popularity waned when the increasing cost of nickel and number of rock players investigating the effects of "cranking up" encouraged string manufacturer to explore different metal mixes.

GHS Pure Nickel Mandolin strings offer mandolin players the perfect mix of tone, output, and ease of playing.

Additional Information

Comments 23 Comments
      Perilous Deep -
      Intriguing. Any information about the unwound strings? Are they plain steel similar to the D'Addario Nickel Bronze?
      mcgroup53 -
      So, Martin refuses to introduce Retro (monel) mandolin strings, and GHS takes up the slack. Well done!
      pops1 -
      I have been playing these since the middle of last year, they are a great string. I have been liking them on several different mandolins. The plain string should be just that, plain strings.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
      I have been playing these since the middle of last year, they are a great string. I have been liking them on several different mandolins. The plain string should be just that, plain strings.
      Where are you getting them? I asked them when they'd be available so I could add some links but they said they hadn't found their way into retail yet, or are just about to arrive.
      pops1 -
      I was doing some of the prototyping, I have had the .039 gauge and a .040. I had some personnel things and have been out of touch for a couple months and am glad they bumped the .040 to .041. I think I have a set if you PM me your address I will send you one. Just a thank you for all you do here.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Good to know! Afraid I'm a die-hard Phosphor Bronze guy and have been for longer than I'd like to admit but thanks for the offer.
      Drew Egerton -
      Curious how these will compare in price and tone to the recent D'Addario NB sets.

I love the tone and everything with my typical J74 or EXP74CM sets but my chemistry wreaks havoc on them fairly quickly. I noticed less 'crud' buildup on that NB set I tried.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      I ping'd our contact with GHS about the discussion. Maybe they'll read this and consider offering a giveaway of some strings. No promises... that's just us talking.
      pops1 -
      These are different than the NB in that they are pure nickel without the bronze. I had been using the GHS white bronze guitar strings for a long time and that is how I got involved in this, I ask if they would be interested in making the white bronze loop end for mandolin. Jon told me they had just started experimenting with a pure nickel and sent me some. They are a very nice string. Like the white bronze they are not as bright as phosphor bronze when you put them on, but more stable and a couple of months down the road they are not dead like phosphor bronze are. They don't tarnish, for me anyway, like phosphor bronze. These have been in the works for a while now and I am glad they have finally hit the finish line. They have been mentioned in several threads in the past here.
      Jim Garber -
      pops1 was very kind to send me a set to try and report back and I generally liked them tho I have pretty much settled on the D'Addario NBs as my string of choice -- just a tad more warmth to my ears. They are definitely worth trying tho for those who want a different sound.
      Jon Moody -
      Quote Originally Posted by Perilous Deep View Post
      Intriguing. Any information about the unwound strings? Are they plain steel similar to the D'Addario Nickel Bronze?
      The plain strings are tinned steel, which is the same as all of our mandolin string sets.
      Jon Moody -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
      I ping'd our contact with GHS about the discussion. Maybe they'll read this and consider offering a giveaway of some strings. No promises... that's just us talking.
      Who did you contact over here? I would be the person you want to talk to. Please feel free to message me directly either by PM or email.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jon Moody View Post
      Who did you contact over here? I would be the person you want to talk to. Please feel free to message me directly either by PM or email.
      Jon, it was someone that works with news releases like the one published here. They apparently contacted you. That was who I was referring to. I'll contact you via email. Thanks.
      Matt -
      How would these sound on an electric mando?
      pops1 -
      GHS makes a nickel string for electric guitar, they should sound very nice.
      Jon Moody -
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
      How would these sound on an electric mando?
      They'll sound great! As mentioned, we have a number of pure nickel electric guitar strings (in the Nickel Rockers family), and many players love them for the warm sound and smooth feel.
      Timbofood -
      So nice to see GHS involved in the conversation! Thanks Jon.
      I'm sure Dave Holcomb has long been gone from the company but, he was a very nice fellow when I was working at a music store here in Kalamazoo. I was actually in one of the ads that appeared on the back cover of Pickin' magazine years ago (1978?)
      I tested a few sets for him company gauged up a couple of dozen sets (frighteningly heavy) and were very gracious about doing it!
      Mandolin Cafe -
      We're working with GHS to do a giveaway of some sets to a dozen or so we'll pick at random.
      Matt -
      Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
      GHS makes a nickel string for electric guitar, they should sound very nice.
      Thank you!
      Matt -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jon Moody View Post
      They'll sound great! As mentioned, we have a number of pure nickel electric guitar strings (in the Nickel Rockers family), and many players love them for the warm sound and smooth feel.
      Thank you, I'll see if my friends at the Fretmill here in Roanoke, Va will pick them up!