• Johnny Staats and Robert Shafer - Music From the Mountains

Johnny Staats and Robert Shafer - Music From the Mountains
    Charleston, W.Va. — Johnny Staats and Robert Shafer have announced the self-published release of their new CD, Music From the Mountains.

Long-time mandolin favorite Staats vaulted to national fame in 2000 when his status as a world class musician that happened to drive a UPS truck for a living became known to the larger public through newspapers and television, including a prominent article in the New York Times entitled Bluegrass in a Big Brown Truck; A Mandolin Picker Is Hailed as a Master, but He's Keeping the Day Job, Thanks.

Subsequent appearances in People Magazine, The Today Show, CNN and numerous media outlets throughout the country sealed his fame as an acoustic musician. That and the fact he refused to give up his day job.

Robert Shafer, Staats' long-time guitar playing friend and musical partner on this recording and several others is a two-time winner of the National Flatpicking Championship.

Listen

From the recording Music From the Mountains, the track "Texas Gallop."

Tracks

• Leather Britches
    • Old Virginia Waltz
    • Big Mon
    • Banks Of The Ohio
    • Jerusalem Ridge
    • Texas Gallop
    • The Waltz You Saved For Me
    • La Gitana
    • By The Side Of The Road
    • Grey Eagle
    • Pass Me Not
    • Redbird
    • Gypsy Waltz
    • El Cumbanchero

Additional Information

Comments 2 Comments
      Mark Gunter -
      Nice pickin', that!
      Martin Matthews -
      There's a lot of great playing on this and its very well captured with a clearly defined, intimate and natural sound which is perhaps as rare as this level of playing. I ordered on-line from Robert Shafer and it arrived in the UK within a week or so. It doesn't get much better. I do wish the liner notes confirmed which instruments were on which track but then I'd miss out on trying to spot the Paganoni. Thanks due to the Cafe for the heads up too.

Martin