• Barry Mitterhoff to Receive Lifetime Achievement Award

Barry Mitterhoff to Receive Lifetime Achievement AwardScotch Plains, N.J. — Barry Mitterhoff is set to receive a Lifetime Achievement Award at the 42nd Annual New Jersey Folk Festival.

"I'm honored and excited about getting this Lifetime Achievement Award for playing and teaching bluegrass music in New Jersey over the last 47 years," says Barry.

The award presentation will happen during the 42nd Annual New Jersey Folk Festival on April 30 on the Skylands Stage from 12:00-12:30 p.m.

Born in Newark and raised in Irvington & Springfield, New Jersey, Barry has taken the American genres of bluegrass, jazz and blues around the world. He started out by forming the regionally renowned bluegrass band, Bottle Hill in college, then after graduation played with the all-star group, Peter Rowan & the Green Grass Gringos (featuring Tex Logan, Lamar & David Grier).

After three years, Barry moved on to the groundbreaking international bluegrass band, Tony Trischka & Skyline. Skyline was a major proponent of the newgrass sound. Known for jazz-infused riffs and extensive use of harmony in their singing, they recorded 4 albums while touring the States, Europe and Asia.

Barry formed his band, Silk City in the early 1990's with guitarist and vocalist, Danny Weiss and bassist, Larry Cohen. Silk City, a nickname given to Paterson, New Jersey during its prosperous era of silk production, is also the name of Barry's solo recording, released in 1992. The band still performs today.

For the last 12 years, Barry has been a part of Hot Tuna with Jorma Kaukonen, touring worldwide and playing on their recordings.

Additional information

Comments 5 Comments
      Tom C -
      Very cool. Just sent him a congratulations.
      jaymichael -
      Lucky enough to see him with the Green Grass Gringos, 1978 I think, at the Berkshire Mt. BG Festival incredible show and Skyline, right up there with New Grass Revival, best live shows on the festival circuit, thrilling mandolin and very cool stage presence. Congratulations Barry
      dchernack -
      Congrats to Barry Mitterhoff. He was really the first great mandolin player I got to meet, he played with Margot Leverett and the Klezmer Mountain Boys at my bar mitzvah. Well deserved indeed!
      BradKlein -
      Great news!!
      Jim Garber -
      Barry is not only one of the best mandolin players in the universe but also a very nice guy as well. I always have a great time talking to him as well. He certainly deserves this honor for a lifetime of excellent musicianship.