• New York International Mandolin Festival Set for July 15-17, 2016

An all-star line-up is set to appear at next year's New York International Mandolin Festival hosted by The New York Mandolin Ensemble.

New York, N.Y. — The first annual New York International Mandolin Festival will take place July 15-17, 2016, at the Lenox Hill Neighborhood House, located in the Upper East Side of Manhattan at 331 East 70th Street in New York.

The festival will feature some of the finest instrumentalists and ensembles in the world performing in concert and offering a variety of workshops over the course of the three-day event. The festival is particularly proud to announce that Mike Marshall and Caterina Lichtenberg will be performing on all three days of the festival and offering workshops.

New York City has historically been a hot bed of mandolin activity going back to the beginning of the 20th Century, when numerous mandolin and balalaika orchestras performed regularly, appearing throughout the city at venues and events that ranged from major concert halls to weddings held on the rooftops and courtyards throughout the city. The emergence of bluegrass and the folk revival in the 50's and 60's reintroduced the instrument to a new generation of mandolin enthusiasts and became common at jam sessions held in Washington Square, in small Greenwich Village clubs and bluegrass festivals.

The members of the New York Mandolin Ensemble revere this history and are proud to be part of the tradition. They are excited to bring the American mandolin community together with other mandolinists and plectrum ensembles worldwide, by hosting the first New York International Mandolin Festival in July 2016. The goal in presenting this festival is to provide musicians an exceptional environment in which to express themselves, to share new compositions and arrangements for mandolin and plectrum groups, and to offer music lovers three days of amazing concerts, thrilling musical discovery, workshops and conversation.

Participating Ensembles

Mike Marshall and Caterina Lichtenberg - USA/Germany
    Snehasish Mozumder - India
    Improvviso Quartet - Italy
    Natalia Marashova and Denis Ianov - Russia
    Jonathan Belanger and Mandolin Montreal - Canada
    Tamara Volskaya - Russia
    Davis Duo - USA
    The New York Mandolin Ensemble (hosts) - USA
    MANdolinMan - Brussels

An additional highlight of the festival will be the a mass concert of participants on the closing day performing In C by Terry Riley. The final concert and workshop schedule will be posted in late January 2016.

Additional information

Comments 6 Comments
      Pittsburgh Bill -
      Wow! This is something that may even entice me to the big apple. Not being a person that likes even small cities, I often comment that I find the prospect of spending a weekend in jail more attractive than visiting NY City.
      Now this, could actually be a deal breaker.
      DougC -
      I've been to NYC once. It has everything, even something for Bill.
      It looks like a really great line up of instructors and concerts. And since the California Mandolin Summit is no longer available, this is the new opportunity to see great stuff.
      I'm planning a second trip!
      JeffD -
      Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
      Wow! This is something that may even entice me to the big apple. Not being a person that likes even small cities, I often comment that I find the prospect of spending a weekend in jail more attractive than visiting NY City.
      Now this, could actually be a deal breaker.
      And, you can still get your weekend in jail if you want.
      RandyC -
      I work in NYC so this is perfect for me. I have it on my calendar. Just trying to figure out if I will go more than one day. It may be info overload for me.
      brunello97 -
      Ahhh. I see MandolinMan from Belgium will be there. I have a recording of theirs: Old Tunes Dusted Down, which I enjoy very much. Here's a link to a discussion about them here a couple years ago.

And a link to a video that Dagger posted on that thread.

As Johnny Carson would say: Good stuff!

Mick
      Steven C. Antonelli -
      Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
      Ahhh. I see MandolinMan from Belgium will be there. I have a recording of theirs: Old Tunes Dusted Down, which I enjoy very much. Here's a link to a discussion about them here a couple years ago.

And a link to a video that Dagger posted on that thread.

As Johnny Carson would say: Good stuff!

Mick
      Hello, Just wanted to let you know that MandolinMan has decided not to participate in the festival due to the cost of travel. We are hoping that they will join us in a future festival. We agree they are a great group. Instead an exciting duo from Italy will be peforming. Fourteen Strings. Hope to see you at the festival and please do introduce yourself if you come. Steven Antonelli