View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Mandolin Mondays #315 Featuring Eva Scow

This week on Mandolin Mondays we have the incredible Eva Scow with us playing a stunning solo arrangement of this jazz standard "I'll Be Seeing You" played on her Eastman MD805/V.

Eva Scow is a mandolinist from Fresno, CA, who in recent years has made waves in the jazz and swing mandolin world. She's known for her work with David Grisman, Edgar Meyer, Anthony Wilson, Mike Marshall, Mark Summer of the Turtle Island ...
  2. Mandolin Mondays #314 /// "Methodist Preacher"

This week on Mandolin Mondays, thought I'd take a little spin on this fun fiddle tune "Methodist Preacher" that we've been looking at here recently on the channel! Lots of fun stuff that you can do with this one!

I've got a free pdf tab/notation transcription for all the notes I played in this video right here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1059...ew?usp=sharing

Also, ...
  3. Ensenada A type mandolin model AM601

Anyone know about this model. Made in Japan. Not a bowl back. Has a zero fret. No heel, but neck is screwed onto body with four screws, from the underside. There is about 1/8 inch space between neck and body. And there is a plate that covers the screw holes. Body is cut around where neck meets body. Looks professionalely done. Marketed by Strum and Drum in the 70's.

Updated Jan-04-2022 at 9:14am by sparkles

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Mandolin Mondays #313 w/ Special Guest Marie Burou

This week on Mandolin Mondays we are joined by the amazing French mandolinist and professor Marie Burou playing this compelling rendition of "Les Deux Guitares" arranged for mandolin solo by Raphaël-Tristan Jouaville. Marie makes this Roman mandolin, Modele Martineau from luthier Brian N. Dean, really sing!

Marie Burou started playing the mandolin at an early age. She entered the Conservatoire à Rayonnement Régional ...
  5. One hundred years old

So the only thing I know for sure about 2022 is that my Calace mandolin will celebrate it's' hundredth year sometime in this 12 months. It looks better than I do with 56 years of wear & tear.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A4B0FF17-00C1-4F38-BD48-47D881DBA804.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	667.9 KB 
ID:	198476 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9FE63DD5-539F-48CA-83B5-D8A9724C9F1F.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	572.4 KB 
ID:	198477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F3EDCD64-E77F-4821-A323-61D5594B432F.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	758.4 KB 
ID:	198478
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Mandolin Mondays #312 /// "New Years Day"

Happy New Years to all of you Mandolin Friends! To close out year 6 of Mandolin Mondays here's a really cool Irish jig from Alan Kelly appropriately named "New Years Day."

Also, I'd like to dedicate this video the great David Surette. David was one of my favorite mandolinists to play Irish jigs with, and just one of my favorite mandolinists to hang out with in general. He will be sorely missed. You can listen to ...
  7. Mandolin Mondays #311 w/ Special Guest Phil Kramer

This week on Mandolin Mondays we have the bluegrass social media sensation Phil Kramer with us to play this original tune "Braiding the Wind" on his Bobby Osborne Signature Model Mandolin.

Originally From Cheyenne, Wyoming, Phil Kramer is a Multi-instrumentalist living In Boulder City, Nevada. While studying classical violin and jazz bass at the University of Northern Colorado, Phil was a recurring face in the freelance ...
  8. Mandolin Mondays w/ Special Guest Reed Stutz

This week on Mandolin Mondays we've got the great Reed Stutz with us to play the "Laurel Mountain Breakdown" on his 1927 Gibson F5.

Reed Stutz is a Durham, North Carolina based mandolin player, singer, and multi-instrumentalist. He plays in a trio with Alice Gerrard & Tatiana Hargreaves, among other groups, and his playing and singing can be heard all over Bella White’s album “Just Like Leaving” on Rounder Records. ...
  9. Help! Need to know about a 1954 Mandolin

I have had an original GIBSON mandolin in the original case in my family forever however due to my handicap I can no longer play anymore but I would like to know what type it is? If it’s an A40 ,A1 I mean it’s absolutely beautiful and just had new strings put on and fine tuned! The seriel number is X 9542 1.2????
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Mandolin Mondays #309 w/ Special Guest Sam Powers

This week on Mandolin Mondays we have Berklee College of Music student Sam Powers with us to play a beautiful rendition of the "Ookpik Waltz" played on his Kimble A style mandolin.

Sam is a New England based mandolin and guitar player currently finishing up his degree at Berklee. He plays and records with the band called Bad Oats, and Sam also teaches private lessons.

Be sure to connect with Sam ...
Page 1 of 114 123452651101 ... LastLast