View RSS Feed

fiddlypickingfool

More Musings

Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Hey there, everyone!
It's me again, the fool. I'm still looking for a mandolin. When I say that, I mean THE mandolin. I'm not really looking to play for people, just for my personal enjoyment, and maybe a few jam sessions with friends. My dream would be an f-style mandolin around $400 that is at least mid-quality. I like the sound of an f-style, but I could settle for an a-style too.

I'm cut off from much mandolin community (or was, before this website), and I have very few people to advise me.

Once again, any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

Submit "More Musings" to Facebook Submit "More Musings" to Yahoo Submit "More Musings" to Google

Comments

I was looking at lower end Loar and Kentucky models. But The Mandolin Store had a sale on the Loar LM520vs and I went for it. It's a little more than what you want to spend ($500), but it's a step up in quality. Yes, I read you can get an A-style cheaper, but I really wanted an F-style. But I also didn't want to spend $700-800 on an instrument for a newbie. For an F-style around $400, you're probably going to have to look for a used model and pay for a good set-up. The key, from what you'll probably read around here, is the professional set-up. Good luck, and I hope you find a good mando!