View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Mandocello K-Style build progress

For a very long time I have been wanting to build a Mandocello, and I wanted to make a Florentine Style one but with apertures instead of K-4 with soundhole style.

Over the years I've gathered information as for original dimentions of the K4 and research pro and cons. I have to be honest.. I've read a lot of treads right here on Mandolin Café (if not all). I then started on my first drawings draft and re-tweeked them quite a few times whenever changing my mind about, for exemple, ...
  2. Mandolin Mondays #152 w/ Special Guest Andrew Marlin

Chapel Hill's Andrew Marlin of Mandolin Orange graces Mandolin Mondays this week with an original tune played on his 2000 Tone Bar Gilchrist.

In addition to his well known work as a singer and songwriter for the acclaimed North Carolina acoustic folk duo Mandolin Orange, Andrew also has a distinct artistic voice on the mandolin. Just recently he released a tasteful new album of all original mandolin instrumentals called Buried ...
  3. Mandolin Mondays #151 w/ Special Guest Mike Giverin

This week on Mandolin Mondays British mandolinist Mike Giverin aka "Mando Mike" brings us this amazing original waltz played on his Czech made Kristufek A style mandolin.

Mike has been touring the UK for 10 years with Americana/Bluegrass trio Jaywalkers and they have just released their 4th studio album Time to Save the World back on the 5th of November. The Record contains 10 originals, including ...
  4. Stanley #100-1/2 convex plane

Before you buy a gouge, check out the Stanley #100-1/2 convex plane for carving the top. It worked real well for me on my first tops and backs.
  5. Mandolin Mondays #150 w/ Special Guest Johnny Staats

West Virginia mandolin sensation Johnny Staats is with us this week on Mandolin Mondays playing this lovely original tune on his Lee Chapman Aleyas Instruments mandolin.

Since his acclaimed 2000 mandolin release Wires and Wood, Johnny Staats has stayed busy in the bluegrass scene while still keeping his day job as a UPS delivery man. He has been featured on NBC's Today Show, in People Magazine, on the CBS Evening News and ...
  6. How to play Shadow Ridge by Chris Thile

I have been transcribing tunes and solos from my favorite mandolin players as long as I can remember. But recently someone suggested that I start to share a few on web for other mandolin players to learn. So that's what I've started doing! This is my first video lesson (with tab and sheet music), %100 free, and hopefully easy to learn!

If you'd like the tab and sheet music, send me an email at: liampurcellmusic@gmail.com

Here's a link to the video. Enjoy!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Mandolin Mondays w/ Special Guest Rainy Miatke

Meet the amazing Rainy Miatke from Ashland, Oregon. She's here on Mandolin Mondays to play a killer original tune on her Weber Bitterroot.

Though only 15 years old, Rainy has already appeared on stage with such notable performers as Laurie Lewis, John Reischman, Alice Gerrard, Darol Anger, Mike Marshall, Väsen, Tony Trischka, Sean Watkins, and The Bee Eaters. At the age of 8 she formed the family band Rainy and the Rattlesnakes, ...
  8. Life with a Mandolin

I have so many wonderful contacts and friends that I associate with here on the Mandolin Cafe! Thank you Scott and to all for making this platform what it is. The fact is, it is the means by which I have become a serous student of the mandolin and thus my life has been greatly enhanced.

I am a retired fellow, though at 63, I am a bit young to be so. I am disabled due to a neurodegenerative brain disease and the mandolin is a great friend, comfort and therapy. I have been able ...

Updated Nov-02-2018 at 5:57pm by lflngpicker

Categories
    Uncategorized