View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Mandolin Mondays #167 w/ Special Guest Jimmy Gaudreau

We have a very special guest this week on Mandolin Mondays--the renowned Jimmy Gaudreau brings us an original tune performed on his Rose A Model Mandolin that was formerly owned by the late Orrin Star.

This month marks the 50th anniversary of Jimmy's professional career in music. In March 1969, he was a virtually unknown player when he moved to the DC area from his Rhode Island home to join The Country Gentlemen after the ...
  2. 1 finger 2 frets 4 strings

A common thing I’ve heard for mandolin is to use the “one finger two frets” rule, where each finger is responsible for two frets.

If each finger is responsible for 2 frets, then any 2 fingers have 4 possible positions.

It looks something like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2_Finger_Basic.PNG 
Views:	28 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	175185

The first combo (adjacent frets) is a ˝ step or Minor 2nd.

The second and fourth combos are a whole step or Major 2nd

The ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Mandolin Mondays #166 w/ Special Guest Eva Holbrook

This week on Mandolin Mondays we're graced with a tune from the impeccable Eva Holbrook of Shel and Lady Moon. She can really make that Weber Beartooth sing!

Originally from Ft. Collins, CO, Eva has been playing music from a young age. She and her 3 sisters formed the genre-bending acoustic band SHEL that over the years has been met with a cult following and critical acclaim. Check out their most recent ...

Updated Mar-04-2019 at 8:02am by Mandolin Cafe

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. My Mando

Just purchased my first Randy Wood #2898 F5...gorgeous sound...love it!
    Tags: randy wood
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Mandolin Mondays #165 w/ Special Guest Eli Slocumb

Young Colorado mandolin phenom Eli Slocumb plays this standard fiddle tune like you've never heard it before on his 2012 San Juan mandolin built by Bobby Wintringham.

Originally from Fort Collins, CO, Eli recently moved to Boston, MA, to study mandolin in the Roots Music Program at the Berklee College of Music. His debut self-titled album is a great listen, featuring a lineup of other amazing Colorado ...
  6. Mandolin Mondays #164 w/ Special Guest Troy Boone

Sideline mandolinist Troy Boone joins us on Mandolin Mondays for a tasty version of "Old Dangerfield" played on his beautiful Prucha mandolin.

Erwin, TN, native and ETSU trained Troy Boone is a force to be reckoned with. In 2015 Troy recorded his premier record entitled First Impressions featuring some hot picking and fresh compositions. Check it out here: https://troyboone.bandcamp.com/releases

After ...
  7. Nash the Slash, anybody?

I discovered Canadian Prog Rock band "FM" the other day, and have been somewhat obsessively researching EVERYTHING released by their former electric mandolinist, Nash the Slash.
    He's just so weird that I wanna be like him when I grow up.
    Wearing full-head bandages almost every show, though, is a level of commitment I don't know that I have...

I'd love to figure out who made his mandolins, though. I've ...
  8. Mandolin Mondays #163 w/ Special Guest Ray Legere

New Brunswick mandolin extraordinaire Ray Legere is on Mandolin Mondays this week with an exciting original tune played on his 1986 Nugget A style mandolin.

Ray is one of Canada's hidden treasures of the acoustic music scene. Over the years, he has played with many of the great North American bluegrass players, including legends like Tony Rice, David Grisman, and Doc Watson. He even filled in for Bill ...
  9. Mandolin Mondays #162 w/ Special Guest Jesse Brock

2-time IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year Jesse Brock stops by Mandolin Mondays to take a spin on this classic Monroe tune with his beautiful Jonathan A McClanahan Trinity F5 mandolin.

Jesse has made a name for himself in bluegrass as an A-list player. Over the years, he's kept company with the likes of Michael Cleveland, Lynn Morris, Dale Ann Bradley, Audie Blaylock, and more. He's been nominated for and ...
  10. Info on Your Mandolin

We recently discovered a players can no longer obtain information on Weber instruments built prior to 2013 from the Weber company. Mary and I would be happy to help with any questions or concerns you have on instruments built before 2016. Also information on any Flatiron instruments prior to 1997 and Montana built Gibson mandolins. You can contact us through our Montana Lutherie web site, here on Mandolin cafe, or give me a call directly at 406-580-6053.

Also-from Mary: Here ...
Page 3 of 95 FirstFirst 12345672853 ... LastLast