View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Worthless For All But a String Holder

Any of the bridge issues below will rob your instrument of tone and volume and are responsible for more players going on a new string brand or gauge hunt because their instrument just doesn’t sound like it used to.

I know I’ve posted on this topic a few times before, however recently Bruce has gotten quite a few instruments in for miscellaneous work and noticed almost all had bridge issues: poor fit, leaning towards the fingerboard, some bases flipped bass for treble, and messed ...
  2. Mandolin Mondays #133 w/ Special Guest Paddy Montgomery

Australian mandolin guru Paddy Montgomery joins us on Mandolin Mondays for some Queen played on a well-loved Collings MT-L (left-handed).

Paddy is a part of many groups in Australia including the Down Under bluegrass powerhouse Buffalo Nickel--a trio with fiddler George Jackson and guitarist Daniel Watkins. They have an impressive digital EP for sale--check it out here: https://buffalonickelaus.bandcamp.com/releases
  3. Mandolin Mondays #132 w/ Special Guest Jacob Means

Boston-based mandolinist Jacob Means shares an imaginative original tune on his amazing 1994 Gibson F5-L Master Model.

v=NgOrGDYQ5m0

Jacob has been a fixture in the Boston acoustic music scene for quite some time. He received a Masters of Music in Contemporary Improvisation at the New England Conservatory, and has collaborated with some of the most heavy-weight improvisers around. His versatile and expressive playing allows ...
  4. Yardbird Suite (John Reischman)

July 4th, 2018

Last year, David Benedict's fabulous Mandolin Monday series brought us John Reischman playing his chord-melody arrangement of Charlie Parker's tune Yardbird Suite. It's been on my to-do list to make a transcription for, oh, about a year. It's really a treat to play even at a tempo slower than the brisk 178 BPM speed taken by John. Two PDF files are attached. First the chord-melody arrangement of the head, second John's improvisation.

Here's the link to ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yardbird Suite (head) - John Reischman.pdf   Yardbird Suite (improv) - John Reischman.pdf  
  5. Mandolin Mondays #131 w/ Special Guest Hayes Griffin

Grand Rapids multi-instrumentalist Hayes Griffin brings us an original tune for this week’s Mandolin Mondays played on a Isabel mandolin made by luthier Wes Archer in Zanesville, OH.

New England Conservatory graduate Hayes has performed with acts such as Canadian fiddle virtuoso April Verch and the contemporary bluegrass band NewTown. Now he currently performs in a duo with mandolinist Nate Roberts, in addition to the progressive ...
  6. Custom Rangers

This one will travel to France, soon- upgraded with an ebony FB & Peghead Veneer (think it's radiused, too) and buckskin color.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2125sm.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	300.3 KB 
ID:	169018

This one is Vegan- which is pretty easy to achieve with the ebony star in the peghead and micarta nut- looks cool, too!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2118sm.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	251.2 KB 
ID:	169020

Bruce has been picking wood and planning with two players for their instruments (one a two point, one an F)...great visits!
  7. Mandolin Mondays #130 w/ Special Guest Joe Tozer

Bath musician Joe Tozer from the UK band Cardboard Fox joins us on Mandolin Mondays for a beautiful original tune played on his own custom mandolin built by his dad Paul Tozer.

Since 2013, Joe has played with the award-winning Bath-based, progressive bluegrass band Cardboard Fox. They just recently celebrated the release of their sophomore full-length album called Topspin--a compelling project of original songs and tunes. ...
  8. Mandolin Mondays #129 w/ Special Guest Billy Bright

Austin, Texas native, Billy Bright from Wood & Wire brings us an awesome waltz played on his fine Ellis F5 mandolin.

Since 2014, Billy has been playing with the Austin-based bluegrass band Wood & Wire. Their 2018 release North of Despair packs a real bluegrass punch, featuring loads of great picking and singing. Check it out here: https://www.amazon.com/North-Despair.../dp/B079P7WDYM

Connect ...
  9. Mando 118 Years Old

Here's a nice (and interesting) letter we received from a repair.
    Mandos can sure get around:

My Grandfather Peter E Anderson was listed on the 1900 census as living in an apartment in Kentucky with three other LDS missionaries. Before he left the mission field to come home, he bought his wife Clara a mandolin. My father gave the mandolin to Pamela when we were newlyweds because she was the only member of the extended family that owned and played a mandolin.
    Several ...
  10. Happy...Happy...Joy...Joy ...

Greetings Folks,
    Today I ordered a new Mandolin, The Loar LM-520VS from Elderly Instruments, can't wait for delivery.
    My decision was aided by the helpful folks here at Mandolin Cafe along with other internet testimonials and video reviews. Thank you all for your advice and support.
    Best Regards,
    Tony ray
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 88 123452651 ... LastLast