Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber
    Eoin: what is the scale length?
    Hi Jim , apologies for the delay replying, I'm not very good at staying current on tge various social media.

As a guess from memory I would say it's somewhere between 58-60cm, whereas the Oakwood I had been using was 64cm. I'm away for work at the moment so can't check, but will do when I get back at the weekend and give a definite measurement then.
    I put Dogal Calace mandoloncello strings on it and it sounds great, a very good low C and much more singing sound higher up the fretboard. I have to adapt the C strings as they're made for a much longer scale so they don't taper in time for the tuning peg hole. so I have to unwind them and make a new taper to go in the peg.
    Lovely.
    It's great to see Chris here playing his lovely piece. I recall meeting him, and doing workshops with him at the Mandolin Symposium in Santa Cruz. At that tine, he shared with us many of his pieces from his studies in London.
    Beautiful!
    Bravo!
    Lovely and fitting tribute indeed. Impressive technical performance with a poignant delivery. Thank you.
    Fitting tribute for a wonderful lady. Well done, Chris.
    Crushed it.
    Eoin: what is the scale length?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dodson
    Nice picking! I saw the Purple Hulls in League City Texas last year. They are super talented. Love that Texas swing.
    Yup great group!
    Fine job and great styling!
    Aw Yeah!!!! Goodbye Liza Jane......so tasty! The 3 T's for sure.....
    Thanks!
    Nice picking! I saw the Purple Hulls in League City Texas last year. They are super talented. Love that Texas swing.
    Nicely done! Thanks for sharing.
    Yay! Great picking from another of my absolute favorite musicians!
    Welcome, Abigail. Great example of the 3 T's: tone, taste and timing. Very well played!
    I'm tempted to say it's a bit like holding a small dustbin with a neck, but actually it's not too ungainly.
    I use a section of non-slip material laid on my thigh and lower stomach to stop any movement, so it's very well behaved really.

I had been playing an Oakwood with a 26" scale, but this is a lot shorter. I prefer the sound from this one and it's a lot more nippy to get around.
    I've had a cylinderback, a K2 and now a K4, but I have to wonder what it feels like to hold let alone play a big bowlback.
    Beautiful, probably sounds great.
    Jim
    Yup!
    Very nice indeed.
    If you posted this in the forum it would get more feedback than as a blog. I have a Kentucky KM150 which is good at the bottom of that price range
    If you posted this in the forum it would get more feedback than as a blog. I have a Kentucky KM150 which is good at the bottom of that price range
    Great mandolin stuff on a beautiful Monroe piece! NICE!
    Really lovely all the way around!
    I especially liked that little run just before the 1 minute mark.

Daniel
    I was stationed in the Netherlands back in the 80's, witnessed strong blues and jazz influences everywhere (North Sea Jazz festival - incredible!).

That was as tasty and precise as it gets Sir! You could probably find a few folks lined up for a double stop lesson should you choose to teach one.
    Like your adaptation very much.
    Very nice!
    Beautiful picking! Check that pick grip! Never seen that before
    Good stuff... thanks!
    Welcome, Paul. Nicely played!
    Any chance a feller might be able to get a tab of that one someplace? Great tune, impressively rendered.
    Brilliant!
    Wow!
    Very nice. I love how those Northfields sound in the hands of talented artists. I was also digging the fishing poles in the background. Haha
    Really great. Well done!
    Great stuff indeed!
    Like Bill I have been following you and the Purple Hulls for many years. You are good folks! Glad to see you get this well deserved recognition. You should get together again with the Quebe Sisters -- that was a nice performance.
    OUTSTANDING!!!!! I'M A NEW FAN !!!
    Very nice playing by a very nice lady. Been a fan for a while.

Thanks so much.
    Yay, one of my favorite pickers, with some awesome picking!
    Wow.
    That was awesome!
    Very nicely played! Welcome, Penny.
    Iím feeling them blues! Also, thanks for writing the book that helped me learn mandolin. ☺️
    Nice version, Jack. I went to your you tube link and listened to the version with words - I like it! Sounds like the words could have been there all along.
    Nice!

Great playing, makes me want to dance, and I can’t dance!
    Well done Jack.
    Very nice playing Jack. So nice to see.