View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Mandolin Mondays #174 w/ Special Guest Mike Guggino

Steep Canyon Rangers resident mandolin powerhouse Mike Guggino slays this original tune on his incredible Lloyd Loar.

Mike has been tearing up the scene with the Rangers for over a decade now. Perhaps best known for their work with comedian Steve Martin, they've also won Entertainer of the Year from IBMA in 2011 and earned widespread critical acclaim. Read more about Mike's career with the Rangers at this Mandolin Cafe interview ...
  2. WA Cole Tuneup

Glad to be a new member. I love the posts.

I bought a WA Cole Banjo Mandolin needing work. A cleanup, new skin, new Ebony peg head veneer and a new nut and bridge later and she tunes up pretty good - except - the 7-8 string don't ring after the 10th fret. 1-6 ring nicely all the way out to 15.

Thoughts are appreciated.

PNM
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Mandolin Mondays #173 w/ Special Guest Ondra Kozák

Czech Republic mandolin virtuoso Ondra Kozák brings the heat on an original tune this week on Mandolin Mondays. Another amazing Krishot mandolin here made by Czech luthier Eduard Krištůfek.

Ondra is a true gem of the European bluegrass scene. He's 5-time winner of the Czech Bluegrass Music Association Guitar Player of the Year Award, and has won numerous other awards with the many bands he's played with over the years. His ...
  4. Mandolin Mondays #172 w/ Special Guest Jack Pearson

Allman Brothers Band member and all around guitar legend Jack Pearson also slays the mandolin. Hear him play a soulful, original blues on his Silverangel axe for this week's Mandolin Mondays.

Though Jack may be best known for this work with Gregg Allman and the ABB, Jack has played with just about everyone--from Chet Atkins to Jerry Douglas and beyond. These days he's highly sought after as a studio musician and instructor,, ...
  5. Mile Twelve City on a Hill /// "Rialto" Transcription and Video

Name:  COAH_DigitalStreamingFinal.jpg
Views: 6806
Size:  98.8 KB

The new Mile Twelve record City on a Hill is officially out! We recorded this album down in Nashville, TN, back in December with Bryan Sutton in the producer's chair. So happy to now have this music out there.

Wanted to share with you all a free transcription of my tune "Rialto" off of the album along with a video breakdown. On this video I play through the melody and solo up tempo and a bit slower so you can catch all the details. ...

Updated Apr-12-2019 at 5:43pm by Mandolin Cafe

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Mandolin Mondays #171 w/ Special Guest David Harvey

This week on Mandolin Mondays Gibson master luthier David Harvey brings us an original cross-tuned piece performed on this incredible Gibson Hall Of Fame Mon F-5 prototype he helped to pioneer.

David cut his teeth as a 14 year-old kid touring with the legendary Red Allen. Over the years, he made a name for himself as a performer, playing with Larry Sparks, Claire Lynch and a number of others. Now, David continues to play ...
  7. Mandolin Mondays #170 - Sir Paul McCartney!

David Benedict is on holiday and graciously turned Mandolin Mondays over to the Mandolin Cafe this week, and what a treat we have, as Rock & Roll legend and founding member of The Beatles, Sir Paul McCartney pays us a visit!

About the original composition he plays here, Sir Paul McCartney said, "OK, lads, give this new one a go and let me know what you think. Just wrote it a few nights ago and plan to have it on my next album. Cheers to everyone at the Mandolin Cafe, carry ...

Updated Apr-18-2022 at 10:00pm by Mandolin Cafe

Categories
    Uncategorized