View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. A searchable TablEdit database

Like to contribute to new growing resource on the Mandolin Cafe? We're putting the finishing touches on our own searchable database of TablEdit files and welcome contributors.

TablEdit for those of you who haven't used it is a favorite piece of software in the mandolin world for creating and sharing music in standard notation and tablature. It can import music from formats such as midi and ABC (and others) and exports to many other formats. Audio playback of the tune is one of the ...

Updated Jan-11-2011 at 10:21am by Scott Tichenor

Categories
    Mandolin Cafe Site Information
  2. Weber Serial Numbers/Dating

We had the question recently about dating a Weber/the serial number and I had a really hard time finding it, myself, in our website's FACTS section, so I moved front & center. If you've never been to the FACTS section take a look as there is lots of good info. Weclcom suggestions and we're slowly updating it too with inlay, binding (next), etc. pics
    http://www.soundtoearth.com/faq.php
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Weber Hyalite-anybody have one? Whats it like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Weber View Post
    It's a rainy, cold day outside and thus I get to do one my favorite things (mandolincafe), but usually just read...this post really struck me as the Hyalite is carved very differently than the other Weber A-styles. We call it our celtic carving and it is shaped the same as the Bridger A instruments, thus the different tone. Also the Hyalite standard is mahogany back/ribs/neck giving that woody tone- also comes with an Original Brekke Bridge which enhances this sound even a bit more...Bryon says
    Tags: hyalite, weber
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Version 2 Mandolin Cafe iPhone App

Version 2 of the Mandolin Cafe iPhone app has been released and is available from the Apple store as an update if already installed, or just search for the term "Mandolin Cafe" to download for the first time.

It's free. inline image

What's new in version 2? We've expanded the forum access and created a separate Forum area that contains all forum subsections which then leads to a list in each sub-area ...
  5. Creating a "scene," what's worked for you?

This is an excellent primer and very good advice if you want to play lot to a wide variety of audiences.

Thanks Allen!

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Some thoughts on what's worked for me. And let me state up front, that while I make a "good second income" from music -- over $15K annually -- I couldn't live on what I make; that's where civil service retirement comes in...

1. Playing for seniors: I compiled a list of nursing homes, senior centers, assisted living facilities
    Categories
    Gigging
  6. In Transit

The mandolin is the perfect travel instrument. My mandolin, in a hard shell case, has fit in the overhead compartments of every puddle-jumper into which I have had the pleasure of folding myself. Occasionally a zealous gate agent will attempt to tag my case for gate-check for the short flights. When that happens I have been able to put off the green-tagger by saying, “It’ll fit,” or “This needs to come with me -if you need to check something take the backpack.”

The size also allows ...
    Tags: practice, travel
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. First time multitracking

So, given the suggestion of downloading Four Track (an app for my iPhone) as one way to easily multitrack record my mandolin, and avoid the quagmire of GEARITIS, I decided, what the hay, its cheap. I had low expectations given the sound quality of my videos recorded on the iPhone, but I have to admit, the first pass with this software has exceeded my expectations! Here is a quick clip of Blackberry Blossom, my first attempt to multitrack. Its not perfect (there is a little timing issue early on) ...
    Categories
    Song projects
  8. An iPhone, iPad, iTouch mini-tutorial

Here's some fun for fellow iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch owners. I recently implemented a series of Apple icons on the Cafe so that if and when you set a short-cut to a web site on your desktop (I'll show you how in a bit) you get an image of our choosing instead of the default screen shot of the web page (boring, too small! hiss...). I encouraged Dan and Ted to do this on the Mandolin Archive and JazzMando.com and here are the results below--you should see the icons for the three web sites contained ...
  9. Working Up a Set

I used to be a singer/songwriter. Time was when I could access my emotional state at the drop of a hat and pour my guts out with a pen, a piece of paper and a guitar.

Things changed as I got older. Music became a hobby rather than a serious endeavor, so I turned from songwriting to more social forms of musical expression.

I found Bluegrass, not because I am deeply enamored with the style of music, but because Bluegrassers welcomed me.

The reason I played ...
    Categories
    Gigging
  10. The Mandolin Cafe's 2010 In Review

As we did in 2009, it's a good time to pause and recap some of the memorable highlights in the mandolin world as we saw them (see our 2009 comments here). If you don't see what you thought was important here, it's certainly on this page.

inline imageJanuary, 2010 - Collings stole the show at the Anaheim NAMM show with the new MT2 mandola. ln true Collings form, they did not disappoint!

2010 should be known as the year mandolin ...