View RSS Feed

Jimbolin

Beginner, where to start?

Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
I just got a banjo mandolin and would like advice on the best way to start learning to play. Thanks!

Submit "Beginner, where to start?" to Facebook Submit "Beginner, where to start?" to Yahoo Submit "Beginner, where to start?" to Google

Comments

Any piece that I'm learning, and at any level, there's usually something on you tube, tutorials, slowed down versions tune up demos and the like that are really helpful. More complex stuff, this site - mandolin cafe - has great versions of tunes in the mp3 section. Keep playing, the better you get, the easier it gets! Good luck.
    That's a broad request. Are you a beginner musician or a beginner mandolinist or both? Expound upon what you mean by "learn to play." Really think about it. http://artistworks.com/mandolin-lessons-mike-marshall is about a dollar a day and a great place to start whether you are one both beginners above.

To my mind learn theory as you go. If you just want to play a line from a song, the theory isn't necessary, but if you want to "jam out" on your own lines within the structure of a song, theory is necessary to understand what you want to play & when you want to play it.

Others may tell you to learn a few licks and expand.

For all intent and purpose, play. Put the thing in your hands and do something with it 30-45 minutes a day. You may not get great, but you'll get better.

I learned the guitar by sitting down with graph paper and charting scales, then building chords within the scales ala the Grimoire series. I have done the same for scales and modes on the Mando recently. I took some private lessons early in my guitar learning and quickly found that I needed theory instruction on "how to play" as opposed to "ape and repeat" lessons on "what to play." Doesn't fit my learning style. Keep trudging through and you'll figure out what works for you.