View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Baby Steps

Having been bitten several times on and off the past 6 or so years with the CBOM bug, and spending money to have other luthiers create instruments for me, I've decided that I'll never be truly satisfied until I'm making my own instruments.

I did the exact same thing in a previous life, where I was a highly recognized homebrewer (I was the runner up in first Sam Adams World Homebrew Contest back in '96), then did a string of head brewer gigs. I eventually gave up because it was never ...
    Categories
    Luthierie
  2. Doing it Wrong

This is the way it happens.

Step one – a newbie asks a perfectly legitimate question on technique, or needs some received advice clarified.

Step two – Various folks respond with helpful ideas, often quoting some of the great teachers of mandolin, present and past.

Step three – Someone disagrees – referencing some bigger than life famous player who does it differently, as some kind of invalidation of the advice and of the teachers’ instructions.

Updated Feb-13-2023 at 9:22pm by JeffD

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. FREE Christmas music download!

Here is a FREE music download of a Steph Hartman & Erin Patterson Christmas single, Away in the Manger". Enjoy!http://erinpattersonmusic.blogspot.c...tmas-gift.html
  4. Persistence…sometimes it does pay off.

In my previous blog, I was bemoaning the fact that my right hand seemed to be failing to keep up. Some times it would work, and sometimes not. Well, I think I may have hit upon something that has improved my right hand technique drastically.

At one point I was asking myself, "Why can't I play fast anymore?" And as I gave this some thought, I began to realize...I actually can play fast. When I play tremolo, it's basically extremely fast picking. So, I wondered why I could ...
  5. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

New blog post: Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, from Erin Patterson Music! Enjoy!http://erinpattersonmusic.blogspot.com/
    Tags: christmas
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Skype and Instruction

I live in the DC area where there are quite a few good guitar and mandolin instructors. However, most appointments require an unpleasant drive at rush hour or eat up half a day on Saturday with drive time. I recently tried a Skype lesson after reviewing Zak Borden's Mandolin Cafe and website links.

I was very pleasantly surprised at how well Skype works (I even use a VPN). The audio and video was very good and the ability to record the lesson enables me to review at my leisure. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. 2014 In Review

January - We started off the year with delivery of an Eastman MD515 Mandolin with Schertler pick-up to a lucky winner of a December giveaway.

inline imageAvi Avital's recording Between Worlds released on Deutsche Grammophon.

The brilliant English mandolinist Simon Mayor was out with a new recording, The Art Of Mandolin.

20 lucky visitors to our web site were picked as winners in a special ...
  8. Top 4 Skills/Traits to have in an Instrument Shop!

9. 2001 Sam Bush Mandolin

by , Dec-05-2014 at 8:43pm (gene helms handmade mandolins)
    anyone out there know what the C is for in the truss rod adj. port?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Hal Leonard Announces The Mighty Mandolin Chord Songbook

Hi Everyone!
    Just wanted to let you know that Hal Leonard will release the The Mighty Mandolin Chord Songbook in late January.

This collection includes lyrics, chord symbols, and mandolin chord diagrams for 100 pop, rock and folk favorites, including: Babe, I’m Gonna Leave You · Blowin’ in the Wind · Catch the Wind · Crazy Little Thing Called Love · Dance with Me · Doctor, My Eyes · Edelweiss · Georgia on My Mind · Hallelujah · Hey Jude · Ho Hey · I Feel the Earth Move · I’ll ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized