View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Online Mandolin Class w/Carl Jones- Jan 7,2024 10 am - 3 pm EST

by , Jan-04-2024 at 7:52pm (Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST)
    Sun, Jan 7th, 2024
    10:00 AM to 3:00 PM EST
    Mandolin
    Old Time Mandolin - Tunes & Tips

This class is presented in collaboration with John C. Campbell Folk School and Lessonface. Class capacity is 30 students. Registration closes on January 6, 2024

Hey everyone,
    Remember that your mandolin is always ready when you are and you will feel better after an old tune or noodle that might turn into a new tune.
    On that note, I truly hope you ...
  2. Carl Jones and Erynn Marshall - Online Classes Return Sept 2023

by , Sep-04-2023 at 5:41pm (Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST)
    Hello to all string ticklers out there,
    Just like you I am always trying to improve my playing and one common denominator we all have is using and selecting a pick.
    Nowadays there are so many choices it's hard to choose. Does the pick make that much difference?
    I will say I have tried many picks through the years and do like the sound and tone of some of the more expensive ones. That being said, I have seen a great player produce an equally amazing sound with a plectrum he ...
  3. Carl Jones and Erynn Marshall Online Classes starts Feb 26, 2023

by , Feb-20-2023 at 10:43am (Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST)
    Where does a song or tune come from? That is a bit of a mystery which we all discover in different ways. Feel free to join me in my songwriting online classes (starting Feb 26 April 9… 2 - 3 pm Eastern Standard Time) where we will spark each other into songdom and unravel a bit of life’s mysteries along the way. Or you can get some mando insights
    Tuesdays Feb 28 - Apr 4, Mando-mazing! (Carl) 7:30pm-8:30pm EST. Always more to learn and to uncover about new ways to look at things you already ...
  4. Carl Jones & Erynn Marshall Fiddle & Mando classes starting soon

by , Oct-17-2020 at 2:14pm (Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST)
    Erynn Marshall and I have a new round of zoom music classes starting Nov 1st. This time the classes are: Total Beginner Fiddle and Intermediate + Mandolin.Please spread the word. Here's the details:
    BEG fiddle class:
    Have you got a fiddle laying around and have wanted to learn to play it but you need a total beginner class? Have never played before but can rent or borrow a fiddle to give it a try in this class? Do you play banjo or mandolin or another instrument but want to learn the ...
  5. One more

This second one is a cover of Vulfpeck's Lonely Town.

6. A couple new mandolin solo things.

I've been trying to learn how to play upright bass a bit. My technique needs a lot of work but I just finished up working on these two mandolin/clarinet/guitar heavy arrangements.

This first one is a cover from a Larry Goldings record that I wanted to learn the hammond organ for. My good friend John Posey plays a wonderful guitar solo on this one.

7. St Anne's Reel

I've been working on this tune recently and thought I'd run a few takes for the internet. Hope you guys enjoy!
  8. John Prine - That's The Way The World Goes Round

Hey guys!

I'm not much of a singer but I thought you guys may enjoy this. I was working on some John Prine this week and couldn't help myself.

Cheers!
  9. New Muth on the way

Good day yall

In true spirit of all the Muth threads I looked at countless times in waiting, I have less than 48hrs before mine is my hands, so I decided to post. I was tight on funds and it was actually finished last fall. I got my ducks in order and I payed him off finally. He was patient and understanding the whole way through, can’t thank him enough.

Larry said it was one of the louder ones he made. I’ll post pictures of the F when it arrives, he sent me a couple ...
  10. Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST

by , Jan-05-2018 at 10:22pm (Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST)
    Happy New Year everyone!

My wife Erynn Marshall and and I hope you all made some good resolutions and they last as long as you want them to. For 2018 I am going to give these a whirl...

1. Start the day learning something-- anything that gets the creative spirit sparked

2. Handwrite more letters and send them more often.

3. Do more creative cooking and eating-- they go hand in hand don't you think?

We are off to the westcoast ...
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast