View RSS Feed

Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST

Happy New Year everyone!

My wife Erynn Marshall and and I hope you all made some good resolutions and they last as long as you want them to. For 2018 I am going to give these a whirl...

1. Start the day learning something-- anything that gets the creative spirit sparked

2. Handwrite more letters and send them more often.

3. Do more creative cooking and eating-- they go hand in hand don't you think?

We are off to the westcoast to play at the Portland Old-Time Gathering, Olympia & Seattle to play shows with Randal Bays & Family and into BC to see family and play a concert in North Burnaby, BC. We'll be home for two weeks in Feb then will arrive in Ireland on Valentines. We have concerts, workshops and will get to participate in the first Old-Time Music Gathering www.irisholdtime.com. So looking forward to all that!

Carl and I are teaching online fiddle, guitar, mando and banjo workshops on Concert Window.com. The fee is "pay what you want" (You must make a minimum $2 donation on Concert Window to get access to their platform. Tips are appreciated!) and you can communicate with us during these live online workshops by asking questions or making comments in the text box provided. It's fun, a great deal and you don't have to leave your house!

Here's the schedule for our upcoming lessons on ConcertWindow.com

SAT Jan 6th, 2018 - 10:30am EST Erynn Marshall Fiddle Lesson. Tune: a cool version of Eighth of January (with extra parts) by great, late VA fiddler John Ashby.

SAT Jan 6th, 2018 - 1pm EST - Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop. Tune: Pigeon on the Gate

SUN Feb 4, 2018 - 1pm EST - Erynn Marshall Fiddle Workshop. Tune: tba

SUN Feb 4, 2018 - 3:30pm EST - Carl Jones Guitar Workshop. Tune/song: tba

SUN Feb 11, 2018 - 1pm EST - Erynn Marshall Fiddle Workshop. Tune: tba

SUN Feb 11, 2018 - 3:30pm EST - Carl Jones Banjo Workshop. Tune/song: tba

Go to ConcertWindow.com to watch and please click the heart beside our name to follow us and hear about our future workshops. Thanks.

Our Holiday Sales on our website www.dittyville.com has been extended through Jan 6 "Old Christmas."

Thanks for your support everyone and we hope you and yours have a bright, happy, and musical New Year!

Sincerely, Carl Jones & Erynn Marshall

1. Carl Jones & Erynn Marshall Online Classes Return Mar 11-May 8

by , Mar-02-2024 at 1:27pm (Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST)
    Hey everyone!
    Hope you are well and picking lots.
    I encourage you to make up your own musical mando exercises often. Combining moveable chord shapes or right hand pick patterns w/ various string combinations might be a start.
    Then repetition... Your exercise noodle might turn into a nifty tune ... you never know!

I'd like you to also encourage you to join Erynn and I as we are are offering one more Zoom music class this spring before we take a break for the ...
  2. Swannanoa Old Time Week Staff & Early Registration Ends Tonight

by , Feb-05-2024 at 5:57pm (Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST)
    I am excited to be back at Swannanoa Old time and Dance Week teaching Guitar and Uke this time around with fellow guitar teachers Chas Justus, Rina Rossi & Phil Jamison.
    Teaching the old time mandolin / finger picked banjo is Reed Stutz; a wonderful player.
    TODAY is the last day to early-register for Swannanoa Old-Time & Dance Week (July 21-26, 2024). Early registration ends Mon, Feb 5th at 11pm ET. Those who early-register get the 1st opportunity to register for their favorite ...
  3. Online Mandolin Class w/Carl Jones- Jan 7,2024 10 am - 3 pm EST

by , Jan-04-2024 at 7:52pm (Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST)
    Sun, Jan 7th, 2024
    10:00 AM to 3:00 PM EST
    Mandolin
    Old Time Mandolin - Tunes & Tips

This class is presented in collaboration with John C. Campbell Folk School and Lessonface. Class capacity is 30 students. Registration closes on January 6, 2024

Hey everyone,
    Remember that your mandolin is always ready when you are and you will feel better after an old tune or noodle that might turn into a new tune.
    On that note, I truly hope you ...
  4. Carl Jones and Erynn Marshall - Online Classes Return Sept 2023

by , Sep-04-2023 at 5:41pm (Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST)
    Hello to all string ticklers out there,
    Just like you I am always trying to improve my playing and one common denominator we all have is using and selecting a pick.
    Nowadays there are so many choices it's hard to choose. Does the pick make that much difference?
    I will say I have tried many picks through the years and do like the sound and tone of some of the more expensive ones. That being said, I have seen a great player produce an equally amazing sound with a plectrum he ...
  5. Carl Jones and Erynn Marshall Online Classes starts Feb 26, 2023

by , Feb-20-2023 at 10:43am (Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST)
    Where does a song or tune come from? That is a bit of a mystery which we all discover in different ways. Feel free to join me in my songwriting online classes (starting Feb 26 April 9… 2 - 3 pm Eastern Standard Time) where we will spark each other into songdom and unravel a bit of life’s mysteries along the way. Or you can get some mando insights
    Tuesdays Feb 28 - Apr 4, Mando-mazing! (Carl) 7:30pm-8:30pm EST. Always more to learn and to uncover about new ways to look at things you already ...
  6. Carl Jones - Songwriting Online Class starts Tuesday Nov 8, 2022

by , Nov-05-2022 at 10:01am (Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST)
    I send a hearty howdy to everyone seeing this and hope you and your mandolins, mandolas, octave mandolins and beyond are doing well as the seasons change.
    I am excited to be doing an online Songwriting Class via Zoom starting soon.
    I have an old H-2 Mandola - Gibson 1915 that seems to make words roll out every time I play it.
    On that note (so to speak) I invite you to consider joining me and the class in a creative pursuit.

Here are the class details:
    Class ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Carl Jones & Erynn Marshall Fiddle & Mando classes starting soon

by , Oct-17-2020 at 2:14pm (Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST)
    Erynn Marshall and I have a new round of zoom music classes starting Nov 1st. This time the classes are: Total Beginner Fiddle and Intermediate + Mandolin.Please spread the word. Here's the details:
    BEG fiddle class:
    Have you got a fiddle laying around and have wanted to learn to play it but you need a total beginner class? Have never played before but can rent or borrow a fiddle to give it a try in this class? Do you play banjo or mandolin or another instrument but want to learn the ...
  8. Carl Jones & Erynn Marshall are now on Patreon!

by , Apr-23-2020 at 10:57am (Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST)
    I am sending a big “Homebound Howdy” out to all mandolin pickers and enthusiasts from myself and my wife, Erynn Marshall. We are staying to home as I hope you all are able to do as well, riding out this extreme situation we find ourselves in. All our musician buddies have had their income “rug” pulled out from under them— gigs and concerts cancelled for many months and others postponed beyond that. It is inspiring to see how friends are helping each other out by sharing posts and doing live broadcasts ...
  9. Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST

by , Jan-05-2018 at 10:22pm (Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST)
    Happy New Year everyone!

My wife Erynn Marshall and and I hope you all made some good resolutions and they last as long as you want them to. For 2018 I am going to give these a whirl...

1. Start the day learning something-- anything that gets the creative spirit sparked

2. Handwrite more letters and send them more often.

3. Do more creative cooking and eating-- they go hand in hand don't you think?

We are off to the westcoast ...