View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Stupid Mandola Tricks

This quote from the recent Mike Marshall interview got my attention:
    I just borrowed a nylon string mandolin from Caterina Lichtenberg that with a little work, I think is going to be very very hip. I have always wanted one of these. I think I may tune it to a E, B, F#, C# (low to high) to make it a little looser. This will put it right in between a mandolin and a mandola. I know we all really don't like the Key of E, so imagine playing a G chord and sounding an E! You can do this if you put a mandolin

Updated Jan-08-2022 at 11:45am by Mandolin Cafe

Categories
    Acoustic Adventures
  2. bluegrass jams????

Quote Originally Posted by fred d View Post
    In the last couple years my wife and I have attended at least a 14-15 different jams bluegrass? Most say that they welcome beginers and new people???? YA well I play at least a dozen songs and sing them, by memory and a couple single string. My wife playes tenor banjo we have been told that the tenor does't go with blue grass OK so I tuned A 5 string like a tenor and lowered the 5th so she didn't hit it ! and she is asked to play and encourged to try a break! But I"m trying to
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Crazy Heart

Did anyone see the movie, Crazy Heart? Jeff Bridges' character, Bad Blake, plays a really cool looking, older, accoustic guitar...I was trying to figure out if it was a Gibson. They never showed the peghead up close. Any guesses? Thanks!
    By the way, the film was really good!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 6 Years

6 years. Its been 6 years...and only now am I comfortable picking up, holding, and picking on the mandolin in the most basic way. Competence really is a stumble...one of these days I'll figure out how to fret clean every time.

Still, got my first tune picked at 230 BPM the other day. I feel some sort of limit has been raised.
  5. A little overdriven eight string emando work

Who says an overdriven 8 string sounds bad?

The attached file is a QDAF (Computer nerds may get the allusion) Quick & Dirty Audio File I did for a class in Audacity I'm teaching on Wednesday.

Tune: Ashokan Farewell
    Key: D

I'm actually working on a version of Ashokan that changes keys. I'm going for a Steve Vai/Joe Satriani vibe. Ashokan is such a great melody that I think it can handle a lot of different interpretations. This recording ...

Updated Feb-09-2010 at 12:28pm by Daniel Nestlerode

Categories
    Electric Explorations
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Files
  6. string gauges for mandola

I have recently finished building a mandola.However, the plans I worked from do not specify string gauges. Does anyone have any recomendations. The scale length is 522millimeters. Most mandolas I have noticed are somewhat shorter scale length. On the other hand, octave mandolins seem to have longer scale lengths. Where does my instrument sit?I am planning to tune the pairs in unison. Also, is it possible to tune GDAE, since I already play mandolin, rather than CGDA.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. The difference a browser makes

I've always thought it a good thing to avoid talking browsers and software systems on this site. And quite frankly, I don't really care what people use as long as they're comfortable. Macs rule! PCs drool! Less filling, tastes great! Kentuckys are better than Eastman! No, Eastman is better than a Kentucky! Pegasus over Calton, no, other way around! If it ain't Gibson, it ain't ####! That ain't bluegrass...

But once in awhile, in musician terms, it's good to try out a new pick, a new ...
  8. Buying a Beginner Mandolin Advice

Here's the advice I give aspiring players looking for their first instrument and some general new to instruments shopping advice. I assume you know nothing about stringed instruments, floating bridges, string gauges, picks (just like me when I got my first). I also figure that $500 is pretty much the upper limit (or way above their upper limit) for just getting started in a new hobby. If someone told me I had to spend $500-1000 to see if I would like playing the mandolin, I wouldn't be playing ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. NAMM 2010 Report #2

Like Pacific rim mandolins, electric mandolin family instruments are showing some market development. Back down in Hall E, among the acoustic instruments Eastwood Guitars showed their wares, including a soon-to-be issued electric tenor guitar. The example on display was a yellow Mustang-shaped tenor guitar tuned dgbe (low to high). It played well and looked great in butter yellow with a faux tortoise pickguard and white pickups. It should be available sometime this calendar year, and it will likely ...

Updated Feb-05-2010 at 6:16pm by Daniel Nestlerode

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. NAMM 2010 Report #1

Scott Tichenor is right. The National Association of Music Merchants convention is a cacophony of debilitating proportions. Everything you can think of that might be sold in a music store is being hawked, pushed, dealt, played, amplified, strummed, bowed, picked, struck, blown, printed, digitized, reproduced, sung, and displayed. All of this activity occurs in the same moment and repeats constantly from 10am to 6pm for 4 days.

Music celebrities are not above hawking wares made ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized