View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Mandolin Mondays #213 w/ Special Guest Radim Zenkl

Make way for the Czech Republic Mandolin Legend Radim Zenkl! Check out this jaw dropping original composition played on his Custom Capek wide-neck F5 mandolin. Radim uses his own unique technique here, the "Zenkl style," in which he uses two fingerpicks, enabling him to play both the tremolo melody and crosspicking accompaniment. Hard to believe all that sound is coming from one guy!

Radim comes ...
  2. Mandolin Mondays #212 w/ Special Guest John Cloyd Miller

This week on Mandolin Mondays John Cloyd Miller of the NC, duo Zoe & Cloyd brings us a bit of klezmer-grass played on his The Bluegrass mandolin.

John, a twelfth generation North Carolinian and grandson of pioneering bluegrass fiddler, Jim Shumate, is a 1st place winner of the prestigious Chris Austin Songwriting Contest as well as an Artist Fellowship recipient for songwriting from the North Carolina ...
  3. Mandolin Mondays #211 w/ Special Guest Darren Nicholson

Darren Nicholson of the NC, bluegrass band Balsam Range stops by Mandolin Mondays this week for a spin on this Judy Garland classic with his lovely Duff A-style.

Darren Nicholson is a Grammy-nominated musician from Western North Carolina. He's been with Balsam Range since their formation in 2007. Since then they've gone on to bring their music to some of the biggest audiences in bluegrass music around the world--not to mention ...
  4. Son of a Gun - Alex Heflin

I don't typically sing, I don't typically play guitar, and I don't typically play songs I wrote.

Here's a little bit of all three of those things. Sorry for the lack of mandolin on this one!

5. Mandolin Mondays #210 w/ Special Guest Paul Hoffman

Greensky Bluegrass lead singer and mandolinist Paul Hoffman joins us on Mandolin Mondays this week to play one of his daughter's favorite tunes on his 2017 Nugget mandolin.

Greensky Bluegrass has been a band for nearly 20 years now and has become one of the biggest institutions in the bluegrass and jam-band scenes today. They've just released a brand new album entitled All for the Money. Check it out here: https://open.spotify.com/album/7EZaLoZwlIVaBYlxbYvHoU ...