Blog Comments

Nice! I like the room sound too Did you pick that spot for the acoustics? I'll look forward to hearing what the band does with that one sometime, but very happy to hear the solo version for now.
    Very tasty, that. Cheers!
    Awesome to see this guys again!!
    My wife and I saw The Act of Congress play at the inaugural New Grass Festival, when Sam was given his special praise for originating New Grass.
    This band is WONDERFUL!! Such a full sound. So enthusiastic.
    Their first CD, Declaration, is on regular rotation on the iPod.
    Would love to see them play again.
    FWIW. For a great giggle check out “Five Minutes of Fame” Sure to give you a reason to smile.
    Great playing, Adam!!!
    Welcome, Adam. Nicely played!
    Thank you very much Alfons, I play an Agustin Zubiaga mandolin, I love it, he, nice name, catalan name!
    This popped up for me when you put it on FB and I had to find it on thesession ASAP. My teacher probably would have preferred I be patient and learn by ear, but it was so good, I couldn't resist. Thank you.
    It doesn't sound that Celtic to me, but what absolutely astounding technical ability! Those triplets are just perfect, and the whole performance projects so much energy.
    beautiful tune, and awesome crazy playing.
    thanks for sharing this
    d
    Wonderful talent. In your hands, your Loar 700 VS Supreme sounds great.
    All the Buggay's are outstanding musicians, and Johanna always knocks my socks off for sure! I've played with them locally and they are wonderful folks! Excited to see them all begin to get some recognition!
    I have been enjoying Johanna's playing for about 6 months now since I stumbled across her on Instagram. Well done, Sister
    Great picking Johanna!!!
    Really nice playing! You go girl!!
    Wow, nice playing, Johanna! Welcome to Mandolin Mondays.
    Great tune. You do your Gibson justice with your wonderful playing.
    Thanks everybody!!
    Hey, that is cool! Great sounding tune !
    Love this tune! Nicely done.

And the 4 footed friend who made a background appearance.
    Another podcast listener here, and now enjoying your playing this eclectic composition. Thanks for all your enthusiasm, Daniel.
    You're my boy Blue!

Nice playing Daniel!
    Nice tune! The open tuning gives a whole 'nother dimension!
    Nice tune, Daniel and I'm also a podcast fan...thanks!
    Daniel! Great having you here. Love the podcast, and now I love your playing, too. Keep up the great work promoting all things mandolin.
    Dear mandolin friends,

firstly, many thanks to Radim for the beautiful new composition! I really love it. Actually, Radim's playing was one of the reasons I started to play mandolin. I highly recommend to check his recordings, in particular, album called Czech it out, that contains many beautiful arrangements of central and east European traditional melodies for the solo mandolin and as well as the album called Galactic Mandolin, that is just necessity for the true mandolin nerds :-)

I cannot resist to mention that the "Zenkl style" is Radim's unique variation on the old Italian mandolin technique called duo-style. There is a classical mandolin pick used in Italian duo-style while Radim uses plastic thumb pick and an altered plastic finger pick.
    There are a few brilliant players who learnt Radim's technique in the Czech Republic. One of them is a great player, mandolin builder and Lloyd Loar Era restoration expert Miroslav Vana of the Vana Mandolins. Listen how this technique sounds on the Lloyd Loar F5 mandolin:

Updated Jan-31-2020 at 3:55pm by Jan Skovajsa
    Hi everybody,

Thank you for your kind comments! The wide neck on my mandolin - I have big hands (probably should have been a bass player :-). I started on a regular sized neck and played it for about 10 years (I had Krishot F5). When I moved to San Francisco in 1989, I met a classical guitar player who also had a mandolin, though with a wide neck. I tried it and liked it right away, since more space allowed me a variety of fingering options, specially for chord melody arrangements, and resulted in cleaner playing and a better connection with the instrument. For example, with the wider neck I am able to play fifths with two fingers on the inside strings without muting the outside strings. Around that time I saw a picture of Keith Harris on the front page of the Mandolin World News, who also had a mandolin with wider neck. So I ordered my next mandolin (A style, built by Steven Andersen) to have the wide neck and since that time all of my mandolin family instruments have the wide neck (Capek F5, Breedlove mandola and others).

Radim
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotter
    That was fantastic! I love the thumb and fingerpick technique. And, yeah, just how wide is that neck?
    I have gotten many lessons from him in the past (Lark Camp, MandoJam) and tried to play his Capek and I couldn't do it, way too wide, I'm guessing 1 5/8". He's a wonderful guy, always has respect for who he is playing for or with....
    Innovative technique and beautiful music!
    Incredible. I thought my phone was glitching during that last tremolo. Bravo!
    Wow! Really nice piece and interesting technique!
    What an interesting piece. Glad to see Radim's out there playing and having fun.
    We hosted Radim's house concert in our little Oregon town of Independence; a small but enthusiastic and appreciative audience. I was thrilled to have him play my Gibson K4 mandocello in duets with Tim Connel. I need to point out that along with the dazzling technique, what I love best about Radim's playing is the sweet lyrical tone he gets on quieter melodic works.
    Hope to get another mandocello lesson the next time you pass through Oregon!
    That was fantastic! I love the thumb and fingerpick technique. And, yeah, just how wide is that neck?
    Great sounds from that mandolin, is it me or is that neck extra wide? Almost looks like a guitar width? I don't think I ever seen a mando neck that wide?
    Welcome, Radim. Hope all is well in your life after losing your home to the California fires.
    Awesome! I loved that eyebrow raise at the start, and the picking lived up to the expectation that the eyebrow created....
    Yet another style of mandolin music I look forward to delving into. Thanks!
    Nice tune! I'm a big fan of klezmer music, being the mandolin guy in Eisner's klezmorim. So I'm surprised when this genre 'pops up' in the big world of mandolin (read bluegrass) cafe. Maybe it's not as marginalized as I thought... cool.
    Tasty!