View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Studio Log: More Than a Little Guitar, ch. 4

You did not miss chapter 3, and neither is the title a typo. I decided writing about paperwork was a kind of a meta-hell in which only the most self absorbed self abusers are punished. Lacking an appetite for self-harm, I'm skipping on to chapter 4.

[If you're really interested in UK registration of recordings and albums drop me line and we can talk. It is an involved process.]

The mastering is complete! I got something called a PQ sheet from the mastering engineer ...
    Tags: mastering
    Categories
    Recording Sessions
  2. Studio Log: More Than a Little Guitar, ch. 2

I do need to make an amendment to my last blog.

I used a different process to record instrumental than songs. The CD track, "St Anne's Reel/Whiskey Before Breakfast," was recorded without a scratch track. I simply sat down in front of the mic setup that we used to record the guitar rhythm tracks and banged out 72 bars, using my Santa Cruz Guitar Company dreadnought as the rhythm instrument. (32 for St. Anne's Reel, 32 for Whiskey Before Breakfast, and the B part to Whiskey ...

Updated Sep-05-2013 at 5:48am by Daniel Nestlerode

Tags: recording, studio
    Categories
    Recording Sessions
  3. Choking: Let it Go and Let it Happen

I don’t know about you, but when I really try to do something well or when something is especially important to me I “choke”. I know that choking is the result of over-thinking. Apparently the brain can’t process the act of thinking about excellence and executing excellence simultaneously. The brain-to-fingers connection just breaks down. For me, the importance of how well I play is directly related to who might be hearing me (an obvious lack of confidence on my part). If ...

Updated Sep-03-2013 at 10:01am by lorrainehornig (grammatical error)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Andy Farrell UK Solid Body Electric Mandolin Left Handed

Hi Guys, here is a lift form my blog "rockinwithdavepeters" in which I discuss the Andy Farrell mandolin:-

"I'd tried previously and unsuccessfully to amplify my acoustic mandolin for live work - I got a poor amplified sound and unwanted feedback, so the answer for me was a solid body instrument. This really meets the bill. It's hand made, it's intonation and action is spot on, and it stays in tune. I use this now on every gig, and it has normally remained completely ...
  5. Eastwood Airline Mandola

Hi guys
    For anyone interested my (admittedly lightweight) review and thoughts on the Eastwood Airline Mandola are on my blog
    http://rockinwithdavepeters.blogspot...la-review.html
    Best wishes all.

Updated Mar-13-2014 at 6:26am by Dave Peters from the UK

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Studio Log: More Than a Little Guitar, ch. 1

A couple of weeks ago I finished a 10 day recording session for my new CD which will carry the title More Than a Little Guitar. At the outset the goal was to make a folk/singer-songwriter album framed around the mandolin as primary rhythm and lead instrument.

To record a song, I would sit in the studio with mics on playing the song as though I was performing it. My producer, Brooks Williams, and my engineer, Chris Pepper, would find the tempo and create a drum track that suited ...

Updated Aug-30-2013 at 2:57am by Daniel Nestlerode

Categories
    Recording Sessions
  7. Trials and Tribulations of a Complacent Mandolinist

Let me start by saying that I love the mandolin...always have; always will. I bought my first mandolin in the 1970s for $500 and, believe me, that was a big investment for me at that time.

I already knew how to read music, having taken music lessons on clarinet for 3 years beginning when I was 9-years-old. Reading music is like riding a bike...once you learn, you never forget. Sooo...I self-taught myself until I felt I couldn't progress any further.

I started taking music ...

Updated Aug-29-2013 at 9:53am by lorrainehornig

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Pursuing the Perfect Pick

O.K., I'll admit that if circumstances permitted, I'd be the WORST case of MAS on record! However, that matter is out of my hands. My wife suffered a stroke last weekend, (She's doing fine, now, but still a scary time), pretty much guarantees I am where I am in terms of mando acquisition for quite some time.
    I have developed a fondness for pick experimentation, tho. Figure it's a quick, relatively painless way to play around with different feels and sounds. Plus, it's just fun to hear how ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Left Handed Mandolin

Looking for a left hande4d mandolin.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Godin Electric Mandolin

Hello. I ues a Godin A8 electric mandolin which is a terrific piece of gear and has done many concerts and so on. Just of late there has been a bang or pop sound coming from the amplifier when I have been
    leaving it hanging on the stand. Rather odd??? Anyone have a similar
    experience? Cheers Big Kev Parker.
    Categories
    Uncategorized