View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Big Sciota

After hearing that Bill Collings passed away a few weeks ago I decided I wanted to put together an arrangement of a more traditional tune.

Anyway here's my arrangement - I hope you enjoy!

2. Mandolin Mondays #82 w/ Special Guest Brian Oberlin

The remarkable Brian Oberlin is with us this week on Mandolin Mondays to play a solo rendition of his original song "Landslide" performed on his powerful Collings MF5 mandolin.

Brian is as diverse and prolific as mandolin players come. Over his 16-year professional career, he has recorded 20 records and has published numerous accompanying mandolin instructional books. His most recent album, Troubadour, displays the ...
  3. Mandolin Mondays #81 w/ Special Guest Aaron Weinstein

When mandolin youtube channels collide! Honored to have a Mandolin Monday video from the amazingly talented jazz musician and mando youtube personality, Aaron Weinstein! Check out Aaron's swinging chord melody version of this old jazz standard "A Beautiful Friendship" played on his trusty Red Diamond F5 mandolin.

You probably know Aaron from his many other jaw-dropping jazz mandolin videos, but you may ...

Updated Jul-21-2017 at 10:58am by Mandolin Cafe

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Interplay - Bill Evans

Hey guys!

This week I decided to put together a quick mandolin/guitar arrangement of the Bill Evans blues Interplay. I thought you may enjoy!

5. Mandolin Mondays #80 w/ Special Guest Alan Bibey

Alan Bibey joins us this week to celebrate the 94th birthday of his incredible July 9th, 1923 Lloyd Loar mandolin. And what better way to celebrate than with a powerful rendition of a couple Monroe tunes: "Evening Prayer Blues" and "Old Ebenezer Scrooge."

Alan Bibey is a force to be reckoned with on the mandolin. He made a name for himself in bluegrass playing with such groups as The New Quicksilver, IIIrd ...
  6. Getting More Betterer

Getting More Betterer

I have been reading “The Inner Game of Music”, which I highly recommend. It’s not a religion or philosophy, though it can be. One or two ideas from that book can really make a difference.

Anyway, through some of the thinking in that book, and lots of coffee chat afterword, and being tired of struggling with technique for its own sake, I have a useful perspective I can finally put into words. It applies to most of us, but perhaps not all.

Updated Jul-07-2017 at 9:42pm by JeffD

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Mandolin Mondays #79 w/ Special Guest Frank Solivan

The outstanding Frank Solivan joins us this week all the way from the windy Grand Canyon! Here Frank plays the classic George Gershwin tune, "Summertime" on his very own handmade Solivan mandolin.

Originally from Alaska via California, Frank Solivan now lives in Alexandria, VA. After a stint playing with the Navy bluegrass band Country Current, Frank set off to start his own progressive group, Frank Solivan & ...

Updated Jul-03-2017 at 11:03am by dbmandolin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Is Happiness Enough?

We usually concentrate on our own business but the following is so outrageous (but indicative of some of the repair stories we get) that we want to warn: Let the Player Beware.

Bruce’s story:
    I was contacted recently by the repair guy of a not-too-small music store asking me how the truss rod worked in a mandolin. I asked him if it had a nut on the end of the truss rod, or could it be adjusted by with an allen wrench. He said it had a nut and I told him it’s a single action ...
  9. Bridge Flips

Bruce estimates that 20% of the instruments he receives for repair
    have the bridge base flipped around- treble for bass.

If you notice a decline in tone/volume after a string change, check the bridge. If the base is flipped the bridge doesn't fit well and sometimes can even cause a hum between the bridge base and the soundboard (top).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0019.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	498.7 KB 
ID:	158582

A simple precaution is to mark the bottom of the bridge base with a T and B when ...
  10. Cane Mill Road - Five Speed

Hey Cafe users!

Cane Mill Road's new album "Five Speed" is out and available for purchase!

you can order it here:

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/canemillroad

I have played with Cane Mill Road for three years now, I did a brief stint on Guitar during the time when the album was made but I now play Mando and Fiddle for the group! (I play both Mando and Guitar on the album)

Please check us out on Facebook:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 2.29.03 PM.png 
Views:	557 
Size:	605.6 KB 
ID:	158542