View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Mandolin Mondays #224 w/ Special Guest Ariel Wyner

The Ruta Beggars mandolinist Ariel Wyner joins us on Mandolin Mondays this week to play some rag music on his powerful Ellis A model mandolin.

Ariel was originally a classically trained opera singer who turned mandolinist after issues with vocal consistency. He now performs full time with The Ruta Beggars--a band brought together at the prestigious Berklee College of Music in by their passion for bluegrass. The group infuses ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Mandolin Mondays #223 w/ Special Guest Dorina Frati

Italian classical mandolin maestro Dorina Frati joins us this week for Mandolin Mondays with a beautiful performance of Victor Kioulaphides' “Idillio“ played on her Calace Raffaele Modello Classico A mandolin.

Now considered one of the greatest contemporary classical virtuosos of the mandolin, Dorina Frati began studying the instrument at the age of six. When Italy’s first chair of mandolin was founded at the Conservatory ...
  3. Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen Hot Sauces and Dry Marinades

Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen Hot Sauces and Dry Marinades

Spending a lot more time at home of late? Cooking better fare as part of the new reality to fill in idle time? Yea, same here. I'm afraid there will be plenty more. Here's a diversion I really enjoyed. Maybe you can too in the near future.

Grammy nominated mandolinist and vocalist Frank Solivan of Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen is well known for his outstanding cooking skills and has been known to hold a house concert and then provide a feast for ...

Updated Apr-14-2020 at 9:34am by Mandolin Cafe

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Mandolin Mondays #222 w/ Special Guest Mandolin Rajesh

This week on Mandolin Mondays Mandolin Rajesh, one of the premier mandolinist of India, graces us with a beautiful improvisation over his brother U. Shrinivas' composition with his custom 5-string electric mandolin.

Uppalapu Rajesh aka "Mandolin Rajesh" is an Indian mandolin player in Carnatic classical music, a music producer and a composer. He is one of the most sought after classical artists currently in India, ...
  5. Mandolin Mondays #221 w/ Special Guest Caleb Lindsey

Caleb Lindsey of the Lindsey Family band joins us this week on Mandolin Mondays for a few passes on the old "Panhandle Rag" with his trusty Weber Bitterroot F model.

Caleb began playing guitar at age six and mandolin a few years later. Mandolin has become his featured instrument. He's played with his family in the Lindsey Family Band since the beginning, and since then they've released a host of studio albums and made appearances ...
  6. My Mandolin and my Song for Solo Mandolin

Hello Everybody,

here I show you my own Composition of a Song called “Haus 13".
    Enjoy it and be carefully!

[YOUTUBE=q7U68uW9k1g][/YOUTUBE]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Mandolin Mondays #220 w/ Special Guest Bryce Milano

Rising young mandolin star, Bryce Milano plays a special composition for all of us quarantined at home this Mandolin Monday. Let the lovely sound of Bryce on this 2005 M01 two point built by Michael Heiden inspire us to get back to the mando wood shed this week with all our extra free time.

Bryce is a self proclaimed "multi-mandolinstrumentalist and songwriter" from Philadelphia, PA. He picked ...
  8. Flatiron Mandolin Revamp

Here is a nice old Flatiron from a player in NJ who figures he’s going to be spending a lot more time with his mando and wanted it to play it’s best. He got a plane and re-fret, nut bone nut, new bridge, and as long as it was in the shop, added a scallop and custom inlay. Check out the great engraving job Bill did on the new James Tailpiece!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4721sm.jpg 
Views:	609 
Size:	940.1 KB 
ID:	184376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4722sm.jpg 
Views:	567 
Size:	750.3 KB 
ID:	184377Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4715sm.jpg 
Views:	577 
Size:	544.6 KB 
ID:	184378
  9. Seeking Help

I currently have a 1911 Weymann & Sons mandolin.
    I curious to see if anyone might know how much it’s worth?
    Not sure how to post pics to the blog site, but I have pictures I can send if someone knows how I can share them.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. My Mandolin and a Song of Pokey LaFarge

Hello Guys,
    this is me and my Band "Searchin' the Roots" from Berlin performing "Actin' a Fool" of Pokey LaFarge.
    Have fun and many Greetings to this Community!

[YOUTUBE=dl2ugMPNv0c][/YOUTUBE]
    Categories
    Uncategorized