View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Mandolin Mondays #98 w/ Special Guest Jake Workman

This week on Mandolin Mondays, Jake Workman joins us for a test run of his brand new Tom Stadler mandolin. "Bill Cheatham" at its finest!

You may know Jake from his super-human guitar playing with Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder, but, as you can see from this video, he's also a closet mandolin master. No matter the instrument, Jake always makes it look effortless. In 2015 Jake was featured on the cover of the ...
  2. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea - Harold Arlen [Mandolin]

For our 85th weekly cover, here's a solo mandolin rendition of the jazz standard Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.

This song has been recorded countless times by amazing folks, but I have always loved Don Stiernberg's version. I thought I would give it a try this week.

Cheers!

3. New Color and Finish

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1620sm.jpg 
Views:	546 
Size:	352.2 KB 
ID:	162170
    These three came in for various things but all also received new color and finish. They're not quite done, but sure are pretty. Good job, Ryan.

We are re-modeling the shop area as it hasn't been done since 'the big change' and wanted to spruce up as we've been getting visitors and hope to see folks to plan their new instrument (or just visit) next year, too. What a mess! It's going to be great but I cannot believe how much was actually under ...

Updated Nov-10-2017 at 2:57pm by Mary Weber

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Mandolin Mondays #97 w/ Special Guest David Tiller

David Tiller from Colorado-based band Taarka brings us this lovely dark piece called "Forro Brasil" played on his beautiful Nugget mandolin.

David's band Taarka blends a wide diversity of music including bluegrass, old time, gypsy jazz, choro, and much more to create a unique and tasteful musical experience. Over the years, they've brought their music to venues in the US, Canada, Europe and Mexico, playing at some ...

Updated Nov-11-2017 at 12:51pm by Mandolin Cafe

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Jazz Guitar/Mandolin Duo - Alex Heflin & Bryan Dedlow

This week's cover is a tune called Javier by Riner Scivally. It's a contrafact of the often played Softly, as in a Morning Sunrise.

Riner is an incredible guitarist that both Bryan and I have had the pleasure of studying with.

And this week on guitar we have Bryan Dedlow who stopped by my place this week. I'm incredibly happy to have him play on a tune. We played together frequently years ago and it's always a treat to hear him play!

Hope you guys dig! ...
  6. 10-String News

Another Buchanan has arrived, and it has new design features, mainly in the bracing, that make it sing. It also has an installed Headway undersaddle pickup, which sounds pretty good for a piezo. This model is the premium HE4 with supposed mandolin-specific EQ. With the right amp settings it is workable as the sole sound source. I tweaked it slightly by making a new saddle that was a bit tight at the bass end, so that its movement would be limited. This tamed the too-present C course. A heavier ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Mandolin Mondays #96 w/ Special Guest Adam Steffey

Honored to have the illustrious Adam Steffey on Mandolin Mondays this week! Check out his playing on this old time medley with his crisp-sounding Northfield mando.

It would suffice to say that Adam Steffey is one of the most successful mandolinists of all time--5 time Grammy Winner and 9-time Mandolin Player Of The Year of the International Bluegrass Music Association. Over the years, he's played with ...
  8. Happy Halloween! Scooby Doo Theme on Mandolin.

Hey guys! It’s Halloween time so here’s some spooky Scooby Doo music. Hope you enjoy!

9. Mandolin Mondays #95 w/ Special Guest Jake Howard

Mandolin Mondays #95: Jake Howard of the Page Turners is with us this week on Mandolin Mondays for an Old Time rager on his trusty Gerald Anderson F5 mando.

I first met Jake in 2014, at Mike Marshall's Acoustic Music Seminar and was impressed with his tasteful picking. He since has graduated from the Berklee College of Music in Boston, and helped start the successful touring band The Page Turners. In 2016, the band won the ...
  10. On a Misty Night - Tadd Dameron [Acoustic]

This week I worked on a jazz standard composed by Tadd Dameron. I’ve always loved this tune, and I hope you dig my arrangement.