View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. October - Ben Wendel [Acoustic] (#50)

Hey guys! I'm back this week with a recording of a favorite tune composed by Ben Wendel, the amazing (Grammy winning) saxophone player/composer.

This tune, titled "October" was originally performed as a duet between Wendel and jazz guitarist Gilad Hekselman. I'm absolutely in love with it and I hope you enjoy my rendition.

Also, stay tuned for some more jazz mandolin content coming in early April!

Updated Mar-17-2017 at 2:16pm by alexheflin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Mandolin Mondays #63 w/ Special Guest Joe Brent

Joe Brent is with us this week for an expressive take on "Old Soul Song" by folk artist Bright Eyes on his one-of-a-kind 10-string Brian Dean mandolin.

Joe is a Brooklyn-based composer and performer who tastefully bridges the gap between classical and improvised music. His impressive track record includes performances and recordings with numerous professional orchestras in addition to jazz greats such as Ravi Coltrane and Stephane ...

Updated Mar-13-2017 at 11:09am by dbmandolin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. 1994 Flatiron Big Horn Banjo

Just kind of fun to see this instrument (signed by Eric Lange) even tho it suffered a common banjo injury. It belongs to a friend so don't be telling anyone that MtLutherie does banjo repair!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0992.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	481.4 KB 
ID:	154762
    Pretty Peghead!

Name:	IMG_0991.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	414.0 KB 
ID:	154763
    Hey- what's that in the background : )

Name:	IMG_0989.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	545.4 KB 
ID:	154764
    Signed by Earl Scruggs. Cool.

Name:	IMG_0982.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	716.8 KB 
ID:	154765
    Shop dog taking Saturday off, obviously
  4. The Legend of Zelda [Acoustic] (#49)

Hey guys!

I couldn't resist doing another song from the new Zelda game. This one is more of a Django type waltz, so you may enjoy.

Next week though, I'm coming back with a tune written by Ben Wendel, an absolutely amazing saxophone player and composer.

5. Paint Your Face Blue and Adjust the Truss Rod

Preventable Repair #2 The neck on your instrument is curved because the truss rod has been neglected.

There is a lot of fear involved in adjusting your instrument’s truss rod on your own even by those who think nothing of sky diving or playing their mando in front of a huge crowd. When adjusting the rod the neck often makes snap, crackle and popping noises then you start to sweat while thinking, ‘what have I done!’. Some of this fear is generated by a few horror stories that make ...
  6. Mandolin Mondays #62 w/ Special Guest Giri Peters

Here's my friend Giri Peters doing some tasty picking on the Kenny Smith tune, "Studebaker" with his Northfield 5S Mandolin.

Based in Nashville, TN, Giri is an award-winning mandolinist on the rise in the acoustic roots music world. I met Giri a couple years ago and was already impressed by his musicianship. Since then he's become a force to be reckoned with as a composer, performer, and improviser.

Giri also just ...
  7. This Shows a Great Dentist

I laughed when I found this pick on my desk- Bruce was using it yesterday while working on his new project...

Name:	IMG_0979.jpg 
Views:	527 
Size:	862.4 KB 
ID:	154593
  8. The Legend of Zelda [Acoustic] (#48)

Hyello. This week I put together a minimalist arrangement of a song from one of my favorite game franchises ever.

I always include a section of improv so of course I took a chorus over it.

Next week I'll be back with a combination of a Django song and another. See you then!

9. Personalize

Truss Rod Covers are fun and an easy way to personalize:

Name:	InlaidTRcover.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	154533Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TR cover2.jpeg 
Views:	446 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	154534Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AbTRcover.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	154535
  10. First kit mandolin

I have just ordered my first kit mandolin f5 I would like to know where to I get the stain to stain it and finish to finish it I would like to do a sunburst to it and I also was wondering about tap tunning what note should the wood be tuned to thanks
    Categories
    Uncategorized