View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Mandolin Mondays w/ Special Guest Nathan Livers

Mandolinist for Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper Nathan Livers joins us on Mandolin Mondays for a killer cross-tuned version of this old-time classic. Hear that Vessel mandolin sing!

Originally from Louisville, Kentucky, Nathan Livers now makes his home in Charlestown, Indiana. He has played in such bands as The ‘Get Down’ Bluegrass Boys, Charlie Lawson & Oak Hill, Gary Brewer & the Kentucky Ramblers, Tony Holt ...
  2. Mandolin Mondays #142 w/ Special Guest Teo Quale

Young California mando-monster Teo Quale sends us an incredible video from Carter Vintage. That's some serious shredding done on this 2002 Gilchrist mando!

Teo Quale is 12 years old and from California. He has played mandolin for 4 years and fiddle for 9 years. His bands are Crying Uncle and Jubilee. Teo is the 2018 CA State Open Picking Champion, 2018 Weiser National Fiddle Jr Jr Champion and placed Top 5 in the 2018 Grand ...
  3. Mandolin Mondays #141 "Colonna & Smalls"

Today I'm releasing another single from my upcoming record The Golden Angle, and wanted to share this solo version of the tune for you!

This is an original tune I named after an amazing coffee shop in Bath, UK--if you're ever in the area, definitely check it out! The album version of this piece features the playing of David Grier, Mike Barnett, and Missy Raines. You can listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW3PcMK71Tk ...

Updated Jun-01-2020 at 4:55am by dbmandolin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Here is what I hear watching Alex Heflin play his solo mandolin arrangement of this Harold Arlen tune on YouTube. A fine combination of chord-melody and single-note improvisation. Pay attention to the fingerings in the transcription and note how Alex makes use of closed scale forms. Looks like what we know as FFcP, but I can't say if that's what Alex had in mind.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (arr. Alex Heflin).pdf  
  5. Sittin' on Top of the World

This is our version of the song with different chord changes. It was a live gig and I was very confused with the lyrics ;-)

[YOUTUBE=3Kh3qJmg8Ow][/YOUTUBE]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Mandolin Mondays #140 w/ Special Guest Akira Otsuka

Mandolinist Akira Otsuka from the renowned Japanese bluegrass band Bluegrass 45 joins us this week for an original tune played on the infamous John Duffey Gibson F12 mandolin.

In addition to his work with Bluegrass 45, Akira has curated and recorded a brand new tribute album to the past legend John Duffey of the Country Gentlemen and the Seldom Scene. This project features new recordings of John's music featuring an all-star ...