View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Have You Been Putting It Off?

A Happy Player

Thank you for the excellent work you did on my Beartooth. It's like a new mandolin: it's easier to play with the new frets and radiused fretboard. I was always happy with this mandolin now I'm even more so. Thanks again! SM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SM.jpg 
Views:	589 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	165059

Check out our new Tshirts!

Day(s)

: 14
    Hour(s)

: 15
    Minute(s)

: 51
    Second(s)

Updated Feb-16-2018 at 6:45pm by Mary Weber

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Shop Happenings

Hope everyone had a great Christmas season. Like everyone, we got behind but recently we had visitors, I started working on Rangers, and new wood came in today!

Name:	PSsmall.jpg 
Views:	554 
Size:	549.2 KB 
ID:	164051

Name:	rangersSM.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	540.2 KB 
ID:	164050

Name:	topsSM.jpg 
Views:	503 
Size:	589.9 KB 
ID:	164052
  3. The Exciting Life of a Luthier

Waiting for glue to dry:

Name:	IMG_1656.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	537.5 KB 
ID:	163138

(he's working on a 1984 Flatiron: new tuners, nut, bridge and EVO fretwire)
  4. New Color and Finish

Name:	IMG_1620sm.jpg 
Views:	546 
Size:	352.2 KB 
ID:	162170
    These three came in for various things but all also received new color and finish. They're not quite done, but sure are pretty. Good job, Ryan.

We are re-modeling the shop area as it hasn't been done since 'the big change' and wanted to spruce up as we've been getting visitors and hope to see folks to plan their new instrument (or just visit) next year, too. What a mess! It's going to be great but I cannot believe how much was actually under ...

Updated Nov-10-2017 at 2:57pm by Mary Weber

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. The Special History of a Mandolin Pickguard

Some of you may remember this story, but it's a good one:

By Bruce Graybill

When Bruce Weber built my first custom Weber Mandolin, he had me play for several of his builders using my ‘go to’ Mandolin of that time. He had some special cedar from a tree cut in 1910, that he thought would really work well for voicing the kinds of range and timbre of the classical pieces I was playing. Along with the incredible experience of having woods and building style specifically ...
  6. Join the Club

Name:	Bruce Graybill Image.jpg 
Views:	594 
Size:	621.2 KB 
ID:	160432
    photo by Bruce Graybill

We say on our website: MANDOLIN AUTHORITY Become a member of a group of people who play, work, and live a mandolin inspired life.

Now I realize right here, at mandolincafe, is the ultimate for that particular group but ours is for those who are also shopping (more accessories to come), contemplating sending in your instrument for a tune up or repair (10% off the accessory or repair service), or MAC Inspection ...
  7. Music Does Make the World a Better Place

He plays where my Mom was in assisted living and they LOVE it.
    Thanks Steve, and God Bless.

I am a hospice chaplain in southwest Montana, and I play a Weber mandolin for patients in several facilities and homes. Music works wonders in the hearts of my hospice patients. I am amazed to see a patient diagnosed with dementia open their eyes wider, brighten their countenance, and smile as I play my music. Many times, dementia patients will recall the words to songs and begin singing ...
  8. Is Happiness Enough?

We usually concentrate on our own business but the following is so outrageous (but indicative of some of the repair stories we get) that we want to warn: Let the Player Beware.

Bruce’s story:
    I was contacted recently by the repair guy of a not-too-small music store asking me how the truss rod worked in a mandolin. I asked him if it had a nut on the end of the truss rod, or could it be adjusted by with an allen wrench. He said it had a nut and I told him it’s a single action ...
  9. Bridge Flips

Bruce estimates that 20% of the instruments he receives for repair
    have the bridge base flipped around- treble for bass.

If you notice a decline in tone/volume after a string change, check the bridge. If the base is flipped the bridge doesn't fit well and sometimes can even cause a hum between the bridge base and the soundboard (top).

Name:	DSC_0019.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	498.7 KB 
ID:	158582

A simple precaution is to mark the bottom of the bridge base with a T and B when ...
  10. Paint Your Face Blue and Adjust the Truss Rod

Preventable Repair #2 The neck on your instrument is curved because the truss rod has been neglected.

There is a lot of fear involved in adjusting your instrument’s truss rod on your own even by those who think nothing of sky diving or playing their mando in front of a huge crowd. When adjusting the rod the neck often makes snap, crackle and popping noises then you start to sweat while thinking, ‘what have I done!’. Some of this fear is generated by a few horror stories that make ...
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast