Blog Comments

Wonderful. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Beautiful composition, beautifully played, and I am sure just a reflection of the little one! Thanks for sharing, Vitor!

Peace,
    Todd
    So cool! Lovely, evocative composition played with such feeling. It’s great hearing your take on the mighty Brazilian mandolin tradition. Thank you!
    Beautiful composition and fantastic technique!
    Super picking, Ross!! Looking forward to hearing "The American Fiddle Suite" in the future! Thanks for sharing!
    Nice nimble picking with great tone.
    Nice! Wingardium Leviosa
    Wow.
    Very nice! Thank you.
    Wonderful! Such a peaceful, contemplative, tune! Thanks for sharing!
    so good. Kate and Jody are national treasures.
    So good! Thanks.
    Great tune and Mandolin. Love it, well done as usual.
    I really enjoyed that, Jody, thank you. Your mandolin is a gem. It's one of the best things I love about playing mandolin, just sitting around and picking solo, slower tunes with a gentle touch, for tone and feeling. It is very therapeutic.
    Very nice! great sound and playing, and I enjoyed the unhurried pace of these tunes.
    Thank you everybody for your lovely comments!
    Wonderful!
    Absolutely beautiful! You can never go wrong with Bach! And, played so masterfully!! Thank you, Xavier, for sharing!
    Thank you, David, very proud to be the first Martin player on these videos, I think Martin made some of the best mandolins ever!
    Beautiful, and that Martin sounds nice.
    Thank you, David, these continue to be so much fun.
    Fine playing. In the summary of mandolins used last week we'd noted no appearance yet of a Martin mandolin, so this a welcome event to have one today.
    Data mining the Cafe! How cool is that? Interesting stuff, including the responses.
    A lot of geeky similarities between musicians and engineers. Of course some of us are both.
    Thanks Scott and David
    Each and every episode gave back something to the mandolin community. What a wonderfull resource this is. I would like the pursuit of more musicians presenting their approach to mandolin music. I would also like to see previous musicians revisit Mandolin Mondays with a different take on mandolin Music (like Sierra Hull tackle a polish tango [Polish tango was world famous, no joke], Chris Thile chewing on a German folk song, Carlo Aonzo playing a bluegrass instrumental etc.).

Like I said: I got sucked into this...
    The players:
    It was incredible to notice that each player brought an entirely personal approach to presenting their instrument. It was like looking inside a person. Despite the fact that some music that was played did not do anything for me I have to tip my hat to each and every person on the list for presenting an entirely personal, individual emotional and thoughtfull rendition of mandolin music.

Tim OīBrien (Nugget A-5) for example. He presented his mandolin by showing a practice regimen. Lordy Lord, Mike Compton (Lloyd Loar F-5)... I was a little disappointed because I wanted to see him play his day to day mandolin... Yet it was revealing to listen to the blues on an instrument that back in the day would definetely not have been used for playing the blues. Forrest OīConnor looked like he would just show some little musical thing on a side note (with a very nice Duff A-5, why didnīt he keep it?). Sierra Hull (Gibson MM F-5) came up with a special piece for Mandolin Mondays. Joon Launkamp (Gibson F-9) showed that Germans are usually very top heavy with about everything, even music (Help Me I'm Trapped in a Zoom Meeting). The astounding Emory Lester's (Northfield F-5) rendition of "Eight More Miles To Louisville" was a tour de force and a vivid presentation of what music theory can make you do. Florian Rumpf (Wolle) and Julien Martineau (Brian Dean) gave somewhat mini concerts. Roberto Cubero (Gibson F-5G; by the way havenīt seen him post for a while) showed that mandolin music fits very (!) well with castilian music. And the list could go on and on.
    I was so sucked into this...

Certain things struck me.

1. Instruments
    Indeed the variety of instruments was astounding.

Gibson:
    The "flagship" company of this mostly US-centric crowd shows mostly "grassers" with the odd folky (f.ex. Fiibsh). I would have loved to see a classical mandolin player using whatīs available on the Gibson market...

Red Diamond:
    It struck me that this brand that targets the obvious bluegrass market is shown playing entirely non bluegrass material.

Cz mandolins:
    They need to be represented strongly. Why? The Czech Republic (Slovakia too) is Europe's bluegrass stronghold. From there the musical gospel is being spread. And the czech instruments deliver (for people on a budget).

Northfield:
    That company has done everything right. Having their instruments built by inexpensive experts (low wages due to low costs of living in China). They market their instruments very well. The instruments are great and consistently so. They target people who do not want to dip into the high price segment (Gilchrist, Dudenbostel, Nugget, Red Diamond, Ellis, Duff etc.) but who do not want to search out an individual luthier and try out their builds.

Woll (etc.):
    There are too few classical mandolin players in Mandolin Mondayīs! I would like to see a lot more. They all bring interesting instruments to the table. But whatīs more. They also show their interesting playing technique.

Duff (on a personal note):
    I was astounded to listen to Duff mandolins played so differently. As Duff mandolins are dear to my heart I loved the looks of the three instruments (except the strap button) as well as the sound but was torn between like and dislike of the portrayal of each instrument. Isnīt that funny. I sat there listening and thinking about what I would have done different.

Strad-O-Lin:
    None??? This has to change!
    The diversity is amazing, reflecting a 120-year-old mando market and all the terrific modern builders. We also need to thank David for his wide network and inclusiveness of players for the wide variety of instruments they bring!

But, there is one obvious gap here: not one Rogue mandolin! There are tons out there! I'm not sure if anyone has shown up with a laminate-top instrument. Maybe David needs to "double dare" some terrific player (himself?) to show us what can be done with the humblest of mandolins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe
    Thanks!
    Cheers
    Dagger, I've updated to reflect that. Good catch, and also added in Thijs van der Harst which apparently was missed because the builder's name wasn't listed until the very last in a lengthy write-up. It's usually in the first sentence or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanElk
    Anyone know which episode was the Sullivan?
    Caleb Klauder - https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/e...-Caleb-Klauder
    Czech builders have done well, with significant showings from Krishot, Prucha and Capek, in what is a largely US list.

On a related subject, I note one appearance each by Dowling and Springwell. I think both of these are made by Scottish luthier Rory Dowling of Taran Guitars. Springwell is named after an album by Kevin MacLeod, who had a hand in the Springwell model design. I would say that Taran should get 2 appearances in the list.

https://www.taranguitars.co.uk/springwell

Again in relation to non-US builders, I am surprised that there was only one by the Israeli builder Kerman, as most Israeli players seem to play his instruments
    Anyone know which episode was the Sullivan?
    I think that Northfield has always dialed in their price points really well, which probably adds to their appeal to the young'uns. Weber was the only major builder that had F models at similar prices to the Northfield F models. The lowest Collings F model is a bit more than even Northfield's Big Mon. Of course, that's Pac Rim economics at work, like 'em or not. I find it interesting that Eastman and the other Pac Rim mandolin companies don't seem interested in competing with Northfield at those price points, given that Northfield has clearly established the existence of that market.
    Biggest surprise is Northfield. They have made massive inroads in a relatively short amount of time, especially with the younger generation.
    Did we miss Thijs van der Harst, who built Olga Egorova's octave mandolin and has a whole line of remarkable mandolin family instruments? A lovely dry and gritty little two-pointer has been my mandolin of choice for years now.
    Quote Originally Posted by j4music
    The real winner is the mandolin community, with so many builders represented, all of them producing quality instruments. I'm amazed at the number of builders. Did the spread sheet count them?
    All the builders are listed above. Over 90 by our count which is impressive.
    Nice picking and tone!