View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. The Mandolin Life

In various threads about getting better you will hear complaints about how little time is available for mandolin. Working two jobs, keeping three kids fed, negotiating four ex-wives, only five days of vacation… I hear you.

This is not a “priorities” lecture, I am not going to tell you that you have the same 24 hours in a day that everyone does, this is not going to be a time management tips and tricks discussion.

My experience is much more gradual and organic. Mandolin ...

Updated Jan-29-2018 at 12:54pm by JeffD

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Mandolin Mondays #109 /// David Benedict "Twisty Jigs"

Tomorrow I'm getting on a flight to visit Ireland (so excited!), so I've been brushing up on my jigs. Recently learned these three particularly twisty ones--"The Return Home," "Cahal's Jig," and "The Mystery Inch."

You can now get a tab/notation transcription for this video, and all of my other personal solo Mandolin Mondays arrangements on my Patreon site here: https://www.patreon.com/davidbenedictmandolin ...

Updated Jun-01-2020 at 4:53am by dbmandolin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Pure Imagination Chord Melody

It's been a while since I posted something here, but this week I worked on a chord melody of Pure Imagination and I thought you guys may dig it. Cheers!

4. Flatiron 1N Just Keeps Going

Right now Bruce is reconditioning an 1988 Flatiron 1N and it should give many, more years of playing-Good Bones.

Radiused the Fingerboard
    Refret
    Radiused Nut and Bridge Saddle
    Fix Seam Seperations on Back
    Cracked Top *not being refinished

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1NSM2.jpg 
Views:	579 
Size:	320.3 KB 
ID:	164248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1nSM1.jpg 
Views:	545 
Size:	466.8 KB 
ID:	164249

I will be posting several used MAC Instruments in the Classifieds, and on our website, if you're interested.
  5. Mandolin Mondays #108 w/ Special Guest Ted Eschliman

This week, JazzMando.com founder Ted Eschliman graces us with a chord melody version of this George Gershwin classic on a his incredible Clark 5-String electric mandolin.

Ted has had his finger on the pulse of the online mandolin community for over a decade. In addition to his impressive work on JazzMando.com, Ted is also the forum moderator for our very own Mandolin Cafe. His educational efforts in jazz mandolin have helped ...
  6. Shop Happenings

Hope everyone had a great Christmas season. Like everyone, we got behind but recently we had visitors, I started working on Rangers, and new wood came in today!

Name:	PSsmall.jpg 
Views:	555 
Size:	549.2 KB 
ID:	164051

Name:	rangersSM.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	540.2 KB 
ID:	164050

Name:	topsSM.jpg 
Views:	503 
Size:	589.9 KB 
ID:	164052
  7. Mandolin Mondays #107 w/ Special Guest Marilynn Mair

Classical mandolinist Marilynn Mair brings us some lovely Brazilian music played on her unique Woodley mandolin for this week's Mandolin Mondays.

Marilynn is a distinguished mandolin performer, author, and educator based in the Rhode Island area. Over the years, she has performed at prestigious venues such as Carnegie Hall, the White House, and the Lincoln Center. ...
  8. Mandolin Mondays #106 w/ Special Guest Nick Dumas

Special Consensus mandolinist Nick Dumas plays us an original tune on his lovely Hinde mandolin for this week's Mandolin Mondays video.

Originally from Brier, Washington, Nick has become well known in the bluegrass world for his killer mandolin chops and strong vocals. Starting out Nick was a co-founder of the popular Northwest-based bluegrass bands Northern Departure and North Country Bluegrass. In 2015, Nick moved to Tennessee ...
  9. Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST

by , Jan-05-2018 at 10:22pm (Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST)
    Happy New Year everyone!

My wife Erynn Marshall and and I hope you all made some good resolutions and they last as long as you want them to. For 2018 I am going to give these a whirl...

1. Start the day learning something-- anything that gets the creative spirit sparked

2. Handwrite more letters and send them more often.

3. Do more creative cooking and eating-- they go hand in hand don't you think?

We are off to the westcoast ...
  10. Mandolin Mondays #105 w/ Special Guest Josh Rilko

Starting out the New Year right with an awesome Mandolin Mondays video from East Nashville cat Josh Rilko of Lindsay Lou & the Flatbellys. Josh gives us a fresh look at an old time standard on his big sounding Bayard Blain mandola.

Lindsay Lou & the Flatbellys has been in the scene for the past 8 years. They've made a mark on the acoustic music world with their strong bluegrass musicianship, innovative arrangements, ...