View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. More of Lute or not to Lute?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back View.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	117220Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Close Up Of Shell And Burn Stamps on front.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	117213Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back of Head Stock.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	117221Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0320141738-02.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	117222Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Another close Up Of the Head.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	117223Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Close Up Of Head Stock.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	117215Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0320141734-00.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	117224
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0320141735-00.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	117212   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Made in Germany Stamp.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	117214   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00950.JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	117216  

2. Hello to everyone

I Just joined the group Hope my message finds everyone finds everyone doing well. I am excited to start talking mandolin with some people at and above my skill level.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Lute? Or Not Lute? That is The Question

I have a Friend that Has a very old Guitar. it has a Branded made in Germany marking.The Lute? has only the bottom of the original case. Was wondering if you had any info on the year, the name? the Value of this Insrument? any info would be appreciated.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00950.JPG 
Views:	210 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	117121   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Close Up Of Head Stock.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	117122   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Close Up Of Shell And Burn Stamps on front.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	117125  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Made in Germany Stamp.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	117124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0320141735-00.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	117126  
  4. Well duh...

A Twilight Zone moment, where the wise old seer at the carnival tells me my limitations. “You are never going to be a professional musician. You will never perform on a major stage or large hall, or release a CD that anyone wants. You will never be good enough to catch the attention of even a janitor in the music industry. You will never have fans beyond your friends and family. No never. Listen, no, not ever.”

“But you will be fun to play music with, and you will ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Bowlbacks and Dreams

On assignment on the other side of the country. I brought a mandolin to keep me company after work.

It’s a turn of the last century American made bowlback mandolin, in a bright green fiberglass case that catches eyes at all the airports.

Several years ago, on this same assignment, I searched the web and found a local old time jam session in a pub not too far away. And I have been going regularly every time I am on this side of the country. I have been exposed to several ...

Updated Jul-17-2019 at 10:44pm by JeffD

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Dear Southwest Airlines. About That Guitar...

Never, never, never throw a guitar case. Ever.

It wasn't mine. I wished I'd been filming it, because what I saw made me damn angry, and had I been filming it'd be on YouTube already.

The details:

Flight 614 out of Kansas City, MO to Nashville arriving 11:10 a.m. this past Monday. I'm seated behind the wing with a direct view of the baggage/luggage being unloaded. My friend Glenn Bradford and I have arrived in Nashville for a couple of days of vintage ...

Updated Feb-20-2014 at 10:15am by Scott Tichenor

Categories
    General Mandolin Comments
  7. Status of the Mandolin Cafe Ball Cap

A quick update on the status of the Mandolin Cafe ball caps we offer from time to time. We'd been telling people January, 2014 but missed the deadline and then some.

First, we decided to move on from our previous supplier for reasons that don't need to be discussed. That meant a new stitching template from scratch and locating a new source of raw product (hats). We were looking for better quality, more appropriate size (there were issues with the last 2013 batch running small), and ...
  8. Michael Iucci

Michael Iucci was brother to my great grandmother Anna Salano.

He is pictured in the attached photClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1947 Silanos 50th Anniversary.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	114127ograph taken at the Salano's 50th anniversary party. I am the boy sitting on my grandmothers lap.

Bob Holfels
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Mandolin News that didn't make the Cafe home page

Some news or information just doesn't hit the Cafe home page and of late there's been a fair amount worth sharing. With a hot cup of java in hand and the current temperature 8 degrees, here's our shot on a Friday that might interest you:

If you're on Twitter you may have noticed someone promoting the hell out of Avi Avital's Between Worlds. How many of these promoted tweets have we seen? More than we can count. Assume Deutsche Grammophon is funding this (we'll watch more closely ...

Updated Feb-07-2014 at 2:38pm by Scott Tichenor

Categories
    General Mandolin Comments
  10. Boyd brothers

My name is Danny McHone and I am looking for Boyd Brothers memorabilia any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
    www.lucky7minidonkeys@yahoo.com
    Categories
    Uncategorized