Blog Comments

This demonstrates that the F-5 is not just a Bluegrass machine! Nicely played, sir.
    I'm loving Jones' Goldberg Variations CD. I've got a gut feeling that Bach anticipated every musical movement to come. When I listen to CE Jones' stunning version of Variation 23, it sounds like Bach was envisioning a delay pedal. For lack of a better word, it sounds psychedelic, otherworldly.
    Nice! I dig that Ewok too
    Always ready for some Bach. Wonderful.
    Bach!! a great way to start the week! Thank you, Dr. Jones! I will buy your new album! Great stuff!
    Great playing and great sounding mandolin, of which I believe is a Gibson F9 instead of a Gibson F5G.
    Nicely done, Christopher.

His Bach collection is one of our favorites right now and he's the past week's guest on the Mandolins and Beer podcast.
    Love it, Tim. That's a great song, and you sing it so well. Thank you, Tim Scott, and David!
    Lovely tune, great tone and dynamics!
    Great tune!

Love it!
    Super tune. Love the places it goes! Great playing! Thanks for sharing!!
    Great stuff. Love the tone you get out of that Ellis.
    Nice! Great to see Tim May on this series.
    Bostin!
    Wow!!
    Beautiful - thanks for sharing such happiness!
    Wow;
    Another monster player named "Coury"......
    Oh my! Fantastic!
    One of the unique abilities of Brazilian mandolinists seems to be that they can smile and play their instrument simultaneously! But, smiling or not, what a great musician! Thanks.
    Yes!
    Great tune! Great playing! Great joy! Thank you for sharing!
    Bravo!
    Yeow! Really comprehensive approach. Love it.
    That made my day. My week. My month. Hell, that’s gonna take me through most of 2021. THANK YOU FOR THIS GIFT!!!!!
    I wish all mandolin players would have as much skill and fun in sharing the music as Ian.
    I always love hearing Brazilian instruments and Choro pieces on Mandolin Mondays, and this was no exception. Fantastic. What a way to start the week!
    Great talent and great joy in making music!! Already made my day.
    Missed this yesterday. Wonderful playing! Thank you, Audrey!
    What a performance! And what a mandolin!!
    Excellent! Thanks Audrey. for an inspiring performance.
    Nice playing - Thanks - it's a good way start to the week!
    Fantastico!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelsenbury
    Fantastic! I enjoyed the tunes and that sound very much.
    Cheers! best wishes Kevin
    Fantastic! I enjoyed the tunes and that sound very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfons
    Nice tunes and well played. The sound was pretty good for a video cam! I really enjoyed watching your right hand as well - beautiful economy of motion for all that great music coming out of it.
    thanks a lot! A self taught right hand but the left was trained from a young age by a quality classical violin teacher! I seem to hold the pick differently from the usual descriptions in tutorial books. Just felt right my way!
    Nice tunes and well played. The sound was pretty good for a video cam! I really enjoyed watching your right hand as well - beautiful economy of motion for all that great music coming out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom D
    Thanks Kevin! Great tunes and well played. Do you have a link to music for the first tune, Deer Raid Marchers? I couldn't seem to locate that pipe tune.
    Tom, I have only recently found it, and have a rough picture of the first two parts. Parts 3 and 4 i added myself, but have not scored them onto it yet - not very good at that! PM me and I can get you the original 2 parts. Cheers Kevin
    Thanks Kevin! Great tunes and well played. Do you have a link to music for the first tune, Deer Raid Marchers? I couldn't seem to locate that pipe tune.
    Quote Originally Posted by kt-va
    wonderful! another thankyou from RVA
    thanks, and it's kind of you to comment! Much appreciated!
    wonderful! another thankyou from RVA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon
    I think you also get some brownie points for standing up to play. I'm not sure I can remember anyone else doing that on Mandolin Mondays, although no doubt I'm talking through a hole in my hat there!
    Haha! I hardly ever play standing up! Getting too decrepit! Must have had a bit of energy that day!
    I think you also get some brownie points for standing up to play. I'm not sure I can remember anyone else doing that on Mandolin Mondays, although no doubt I'm talking through a hole in my hat there!
    Well up to your usual standard, Kevin. Amazing sound from the set-up you mention! Thanks to David for inviting Kevin to feature on Mandolin Mondays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Big thumbs up from Richmond, Virginia!
    Many thanks Matt, all the best from Scotland!
    Big thumbs up from Richmond, Virginia!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dodson
    Very nice. I'm curious where a National guitar finds its way into traditional Celtic music.
    Joe
    Here's the old Nationals together on the West of Ireland.

https://vimeo.com/26553352
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon
    Grand stuff Kevin.
    That Sobell has fairly earned its keep!
    Sure has! Just keeps on sounding sweet!
    Thanks, it's kind of you to comment.

Joe, the first National tenor I saw was one that Alec Finn found in a junk shop in America, and subsequently recorded several tracks on some earlier De Danann LPs. A unique sound. I own two, a 1928 tricone

and a 1930 single cone one. Great fun to play, and an octave down from the fiddles/flutes/pipes!
    Grand stuff Kevin.
    That Sobell has fairly earned its keep!
    Very nice. I'm curious where a National guitar finds its way into traditional Celtic music.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast