View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. What is the consensus on Capos, if any

Just gettin in to mandolin, being a fiddler and also guitar. Just curious , is there any reason to ever even think about using a capo on Mandolin?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Old family mandolin in the loft

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	591 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	98815Click image for larger version. 

Views:	452 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	98813Click image for larger version. 

Views:	425 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	98814I was given this mandolin when I was a child by an elderly relative. It's been in the loft ever since. Can anyone help me with more information about it and its age? Inside it says "Romito e Carbone Napoli made for J.G.M.E.C.L London" the outside is stamped with "Specialita Brevettaa Napoli"
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Playing after a layoff

I'm not sure what it is about picking up the mandolin after time away from it, but once I shake the dust out of the fingers and rebuild the calluses (if necessary) I have found that my playing has somehow gotten better. Its odd. Like my brain needed the time off to sort and arrange things for easier accessibility or something. I'm sure there are neuroscience articles on this, and I'm also sure time away should really best be limited to a week or two at most, not months at a time, but there we are. ...
  4. Letter From Shanghai

On tour with my day job, missing my lady, preparing to head on to Beijing, after Taipei and Hong Kong. Although I have been doing this for way too long, this time around I am carrying my 10-string, which means I am never bored or wondering what I should do to pass the time until the bus leaves for the show or airport.

The air outside is horrible, but I am a happy camper, practicing my tunes in the hotel. An advantage in bringing the mando is its demure voice, not inherently loud, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Long Scale Tenor Guitars, 4 & 8 string models

[/SIZE][/FONT]
    I was wondering if any manufacture makes a 4 string tenor with the longer 25-25.5" scale length? Someone said Breedlove did but I can't find Info?

I've just finished a rebuild on an S12 Seagull guitar into an eight string tenor. The sound is enormous and the tone especially from the bass strings is awesome. I love the longer scale tuning and sound of the GG, DD, AA, EE tuning. (two lower string banks are in octaves).
  6. Ebook Rob Meldrum

Mr Meldrum sent me his ebook on request. Wonderfully written and good illustrations. Couple up with his videos on You Tube and this makes a fabulous resource. Thanks Mr Meldrum and thanks to members of MC who recommended him.
    Here is a before set up video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLRlFKqsrTI
    Here is the after set up video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuHCX...feature=relmfu

Enjoy.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Three's the charm!

Made it out to the Tuesday night slow jam at the 5th String. This was attended by a smaller group, so I got to call two tunes and play several breaks as a result. This has really helped in developing the self confidence needed to keep going when I get back home to Cow Town! Now to learn how to play breaks on tunes I do not know...
  8. ATTIKA and friends

Attachment 96996

In 2013 ATTIKA Plucked String Orchestra becomes 20 years old! For that purpose, during 2013 several concerts will take place in Athens with free entrance.

First one will be held on Saturday 9th February 2013 on 7 p.m. at "Estoudiantina" Concert Hall (12 Nordau, Athens), where Greek composer Victor Kioulaphides will be honored.

Updated Jan-23-2013 at 7:42am by attikaorchestra

Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poster ATTIKA_9Febr13.jpg 
Views:	708 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	97328  
  9. Another vintage "tater-bug".

I'm new here, and don't spend much time on forums of any sort, but I have a question and was hoping someone out there could help me. A friend of mine has an old "tater bug" that she inherited form her mother and I am cleaning, restoring and restringing for her. I'd like to know exactly what type of mando it is. It's a bit grungy, hasn't been played in probably 30 years, has a small lengthwise crack in the bowl. Tuners are still good (original), the tailpiece is intact (not original, ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bowl-back and side.jpg 
Views:	775 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	96856   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old "Tater Bug" mandolin, pre-1905. .jpg 
Views:	738 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	96857   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old chrome-plated nickel tailpiece.  .jpg 
Views:	724 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	96858  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old tailpiece, not original. .jpg 
Views:	709 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	96859   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tuners are still good..jpg 
Views:	671 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	96860  
  10. Twice in one year? A trend?

its a line at least, defined by two points, but things are shaping up this year!

I went to the 3 hour long slow jam at the Freight and Salvage, and even managed to take breaks/kick songs off. Despite a terribly shaking hand and completely blank brain, the body just kind of took over and did it for me. Plus, met some really nice folks! Will definitely do this again next trip to Berkeley.

Tomorrow night the same host will be holding another slow jam at the 5th String ...