View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Hats Off - Mandolin/Upright Bass Duo Album Pt. 2

Here is the second video off of the new record! Another original, titled Droplet.

Next Tuesday I'll be back with an EPK video explaining the record a bit, so stay tuned!

2. Hats Off - Mandolin/Upright Bass Duo Album Pt. 1

Hey guys! I posted over in the jazz forum as well, but I thought I would throw the videos up here.

I'm putting out a duo new record on May 5th with the incredibly talented Mike Gurrola on bass. Here is a live take of the record's title track!

3. Mandolin Mondays #67 w/ Special Guest Marla Fibish

Mandolin Mondays #67: Excited to have the great Marla Fibish with us this week playing a couple of favorite hop jigs on her trusty 1922 Gibson oval hole mandolin.

Based in San Fransisco, Marla Fibish is a vanguard of the modern day Irish mandolin. Over the years, she has helped establish the mandolin's place in the Irish music tradition through her innovative approach to stylistic embellishments, right hand technique, and ...
  4. Guitars / mandolins.triple neck and double neck

Guitars / mandolin. Double or triple neck are great for combining guitar and mandolin techniques

This is a model of guitarmando mosrite.

Updated Apr-09-2017 at 12:15pm by Jailboogie300

Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOUBLE_MORE_01.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	264.5 KB 
ID:	155850  
  5. This One's For Don - Take Me Out To The Ball Game

Here starts year two! This is the 53rd weekly cover.

I heard baseball season just started up, so what better week than to play through Take Me Out to the Ball Game. I took a little inspiration from Don's arrangement, though I kept it in three.

Hope you guys enjoy!
  6. The Cost of Mandolin Repair

“Peel away the hopeful interpretations, and the ‘vintage’ stands revealed as simply ‘old’...
    The gap between my private logbook and the service ticket is the space
    where the ethics of repairing motorcycles gets worked out.”

Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work

The topic of repair charges (though most may say the topic is ‘why does it cost so much?’) can provide an interesting discussion. I’ve been quoting from Shop Class as Soulcraft ...
  7. Mandolin Mondays #66 w/ Special Guest Alan Epstein

This week we have Alan Epstein playing a graceful rendition of this bittersweet traditional Jewish melody on his Collings MT 1 mando.

Alan has been deeply involved in the mandolin community for over 40 years now. His contributions have ranged from teaching at numerous mandolin workshops across the North East, to writing for the former publication Mandolin Magazine, and even to founding the the modern-day Pittsburgh Mandolin ...

Updated Apr-03-2017 at 10:29am by dbmandolin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Ping tuning machine heads

Never heard of this brand before has anyone else? If so is there any comparison to the usual gotoh, grover shaller etc.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. what to choose

Looking at a New york pro, 1973 Harmony, Magnum, Johnson MA100 and a Kentucky k140 as a first mandolin. Are they all comparable in sound and quality? Which would be the best pick for a beginner? Thanks

Updated Mar-30-2017 at 2:25pm by MsT62801

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Klezmer - the best has yet to come

I've been ruminating on this idea for some time, and folks that have read my posts on Mandolin Cafe know some of my promises to start a 'resource' for klezmer mandolin here.

The general notion is that I want a place to share really good acoustic music in klezmer. There is very little klezmer out there on the internet played on mandolins and I want to change it here.

So, what is klezmer music, or what is the 'pure drop' as they say in Irish music. And how does mandolin ...
    Tags: klezmer
    Categories
    Uncategorized