View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. So Long, Mario - 4 on 6 [Original]

Hey guys! I wrote this song a couple years ago with some great friends in Morgantown, WV, and we actually recorded it on a record. I was feeling a little nostalgic this week so I thought I'd throw together this quick arrangement. Enjoy!

All the writing credits of this 7/4 funk tune:
    Alex Heflin
    John Posey
    Eli Weidman
    Greg Thurman

Oh, and if you're interested, here's the lead sheet: ...
  2. The Special History of a Mandolin Pickguard

Some of you may remember this story, but it's a good one:

By Bruce Graybill

When Bruce Weber built my first custom Weber Mandolin, he had me play for several of his builders using my ‘go to’ Mandolin of that time. He had some special cedar from a tree cut in 1910, that he thought would really work well for voicing the kinds of range and timbre of the classical pieces I was playing. Along with the incredible experience of having woods and building style specifically ...
  3. Mandolin Mondays #90 w/ Special Guest Bella Betts

Boulder, Colorado mandolinist Bella Betts joins us this week for an original song on her Collings mandolin.

Though just 16 years old, Bella has been making waves in the acoustic music scene for quite some time now. Known for her mature mandolin playing and songwriting, she has gained the attention and praise of such artists as Aoife O’Donovan, David Grisman, Sarah Jarosz, Sierra Hull, and Chris Thile. In 2012, Bella released ...
  4. Mandolin Mondays #89 w/ Special Guest Andrew Collins

This week, Toronto-based, award-winning mandolinist Andrew Collins brings us an imaginative arrangement of the Celtic classic "Banish Misfortune" on his lovely Heiden F5 mandolin.

Andrew has been a fixture in the Canadian folk music scene for over a decade. Through the years, he's been awarded numerous Juno and Canadian Folk Music Awards for his expansive recorded work.

I first ...
  5. Goodnight Irene - Traditional [Acoustic]

Hey guys! I went after another traditional tune this week. Here's my rendition of Goodnight Irene.

6. Mandolin Mondays #88 w/ Special Guest Wayne Benson

The phenomenal Wayne Benson joins Mandolin Mondays this week for a spin on the old fiddle classic, "Grey Eagle." That's some hot picking being done on that fine McCalahan mandolin!

Based in the Carolinas, Wayne has made a name for himself in the bluegrass world with his potent playing style, compelling recorded work, and prolific touring schedule. He is perhaps most known for his work with the award-winning bluegrass ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Join the Club

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bruce Graybill Image.jpg 
Views:	581 
Size:	621.2 KB 
ID:	160432
    photo by Bruce Graybill

We say on our website: MANDOLIN AUTHORITY Become a member of a group of people who play, work, and live a mandolin inspired life.

Now I realize right here, at mandolincafe, is the ultimate for that particular group but ours is for those who are also shopping (more accessories to come), contemplating sending in your instrument for a tune up or repair (10% off the accessory or repair service), or MAC Inspection ...
  8. Music Does Make the World a Better Place

He plays where my Mom was in assisted living and they LOVE it.
    Thanks Steve, and God Bless.

I am a hospice chaplain in southwest Montana, and I play a Weber mandolin for patients in several facilities and homes. Music works wonders in the hearts of my hospice patients. I am amazed to see a patient diagnosed with dementia open their eyes wider, brighten their countenance, and smile as I play my music. Many times, dementia patients will recall the words to songs and begin singing ...
  9. Mandolin Mondays #87 /// "Windy and Warm"

Wishing summer goodbye with a rendition of the Chet Atkins classic "Windy and Warm."

Additionally, I'm thrilled to announce that I now have #mandolinmondays stickers available on my bandcamp page HERE. Just pay what you want, and I'll mail one to you straight away.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1218.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	742.6 KB 
ID:	160321 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1683.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	600.0 KB 
ID:	160322

You can now get a tab/notation transcription for this video, and ...

Updated Jun-01-2020 at 4:52am by dbmandolin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. (Sittin On) The Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding [Acoustic]

Thought you guys may dig this one. This week I worked on a classic - Otis Redding's Sittin on the Dock of the Bay.

Mostly I was trying to transcribe his vocal inflections. Anyway I hope you enjoy!