View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Mandolin Mondays #187 w/ Special Guest Mike Mullins

West coast mandolin resident Mike Mullins joins us for Mandolin Mondays with a beautiful rendition of "The Water is Wide" played on his renecked 1937 Gibson F7.

Mike has been the guitarist for the California-based band the Cache Valley Drifters for a while now, but he says that mandolin is his first love. He's collaborated with some of the best cats on the West Coast--even found himself as an Artist-in-residence ...
  2. Mandolin Mondays #186 w/ Special Guest Danny Roberts

The great Danny Roberts of the award-winning bluegrass band The Grascals burns this original tune on his Sorensen VX mandolin this week on Mandolin Mondays.

Danny has had a prolific career with the mandolin since a his time growing up in Kentucky. In 1982 he co-founded the band New Tradition, a bluegrass/gospel group that toured the country for close to 20 years and recorded 10 albums. When the band went on hiatus, Danny ...
  3. "Supremo" tenor Guitar

Hi
    I have a tenor of early vintage that has the brand name of "Supremo". I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of the brand or anything basically about the history of the brand would be appreciated. I bought the guitar at a Goodwill style auction in Ontario, Canada and had a new bridge constructed for the guitar and now it's playable. The guitar has f-holes, is 35" in total length with a dark sunburst finish, a plain metal u shaped tailpiece and looks a lot like some of the ...
  4. Mandolin Mondays #185 Featuring Andrew Buckner

Middle Tennessee mandolinist Andrew Buckner takes us on a journey with an original tune "Coffee and a Good Book" played beautifully on his TKD F5 Eagle mandolin.

Andrew has recorded three, full-length albums with the band Steel Bridge and still performs regularly with the group. In the fall of 2012, Andrew worked briefly as a guitarist with the band Wisewater featuring Forrest O'Connor, and ...
  5. Mandolin Bridges

I just saw this blog post we did- it's been a year (!) but the info is always timely.

Any of the bridge issues below will rob your instrument of tone and volume and are responsible for more players going on a new string brand or gauge hunt because their instrument just doesn’t sound like it used to.

I know I’ve posted on this topic a few times before, however recently Bruce has gotten quite a few instruments in for miscellaneous work and noticed almost all had bridge ...
  6. Light in the Dark

We all go through grey and dark times: Being alone when I did not want to be, being with people I’d rather not be. Not having what I want and having a lot I don’t, not being who I want to be by this time, or worse, having to ask myself, as did Peggy Lee: "Is that all there is?"

Being caught in a lie, or worse, being caught in a truth.

And darker times.

Losing friends over ridiculous arguments far less important (or informed) than was the friendship. ...

Updated Dec-03-2019 at 11:01am by JeffD

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Mandolin Mondays #184 w/ Special Guest Luke Morris

ShadowGrass mandolinist Luke Morris joins us this week on Mandolin Mondays for a spin on the Byron Berline tune "Huckleberry Hornpipe" played on Luke's Northfield Mandolins F5.

Originally from Galax, VA, Luke has already started making a name for himself in bluegrass with the young up-and-coming band ShadowGrass. Additionally, Luke just released a solo album entitled Further Down the Line which features his mandolin ...
  8. want to buy a tenor guitar

hey guys,
    I am a ukulele player and would like to buy a tenor guitar and tune it to the ukulele (lowG)CEA tuning. Can you guys please help me out. I would like the guitar to be as large as possible for a tenor, plus i would like the neck with not to be super thin. It would be also ideal if it had a pick up. My maximum budget it 300euro. Can you pls help me out with options for tenor guitars and strings to use. thanks.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Mandolin Mondays #183 w/ Special Guest Carter Shilts

Wisconsin-based mandolin Instagram phenom Carter Shilts is with us this week for Mandolin Mondays with an original tune played on his Northfield M-Model Mandolin.

Over the past couple years, Carter has made a name for himself with the mandolin through his active presence on social media. He's garnered a large following with this witty and musical posts online.

Recently, Carter was selected to be one of 17 ...