View RSS Feed

Michael Neverisky

1. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Here is what I hear watching Alex Heflin play his solo mandolin arrangement of this Harold Arlen tune on YouTube. A fine combination of chord-melody and single-note improvisation. Pay attention to the fingerings in the transcription and note how Alex makes use of closed scale forms. Looks like what we know as FFcP, but I can't say if that's what Alex had in mind.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (arr. Alex Heflin).pdf  
  2. Yardbird Suite (John Reischman)

July 4th, 2018

Last year, David Benedict's fabulous Mandolin Monday series brought us John Reischman playing his chord-melody arrangement of Charlie Parker's tune Yardbird Suite. It's been on my to-do list to make a transcription for, oh, about a year. It's really a treat to play even at a tempo slower than the brisk 178 BPM speed taken by John. Two PDF files are attached. First the chord-melody arrangement of the head, second John's improvisation.

Here's the link to ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yardbird Suite (head) - John Reischman.pdf   Yardbird Suite (improv) - John Reischman.pdf