View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

1. Mandolin Mondays #102 w/ Special Guest Isaac Eicher

Isaac Eicher is with us this week on Mandolin Mondays to play an original tune on his lovely Engelmann Spruce top 2015 Heiden Mandolin.

Originally from Tulsa, OK, Isaac is now based in Music City--Nashville, TN. He started out cutting his teeth in the jazz/swing scene with local Tulsa bands like Mischievous Swing, and eventually found his way to other genres such as bluegrass and choro. In 2006, he won the National Mandolin ...
  2. Mandolin Mondays #71 w/ Special Guest Casey Campbell

A swinging Jethro Burns tune plus a Rattlesnake mandolin plus Nashville cat Casey Campbell equals all the good notes for this week's Mandolin Monday video.

Casey Campbell has as deep roots in bluegrass as just about anyone in the business. Son of fiddler and Bluegrass Boy Jimmy Campbell, Casey literally took his first steps in Bill Monroe's dressing room at the Grand Ole Opry. Since then he's made a name for himself on the ...
  3. Mandolin Mondays #8 - Pokemon Red and Blue

I went full nerd this week! It's the 20th anniversary of the classic Pokemon Red and Blue Gameboy games. I remember playing these when I was a wee lad and figured a couple others might recall the relentlessly catchy sound track. So here's a little selection of some of the classy 8-bit music composed for the game by Junichi Masuda. Nerd on!

You can now get a tab/notation transcription for this video, and all of my other personal ...

Updated Jun-01-2020 at 4:32am by dbmandolin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Mandolin Mondays #3 - Beatles Mandolin Medley

Happy Mandolin Monday again! Here's a chord melody medley of three of my favorite Beatles tunes: "Day Tripper," "Maxwell's Silver Hammer," and "Lady Madonna." This arrangement was a particular challenge, trying to play the melody with those fun Beatles bass lines simultaneously.

You can now get a tab/notation transcription for this video, and all of my other personal solo Mandolin Mondays arrangements ...

Updated Jun-01-2020 at 4:29am by dbmandolin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Mandolin Mondays #2 - Hard Times Come Again No More

Happy early Stephen Foster Memorial Day (Jan 13th)!! For the second installment of my weekly Mandolin Mondays music videos, here's an original rendition of this great American songwriter's well known tune, "Hard Times Come Again No More." I had fun exploring a lot of chord melody and crosspicking possibilities with this one.

You can now get a tab/notation transcription for this video, and all of my other personal solo ...

Updated Jun-01-2020 at 4:28am by dbmandolin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Mandolin Mondays #1 - Huckleberry Hornpipe

This year I'm taking on a new mandolin challenge! Every monday I'll be posting a new homemade mandolin music video of original arrangements of familiar tunes from all genres. And what better way to start a new mandolin tradition than with an old fiddle tune played too fast, with too many notes, and with questionably appropriate interpretations of traditional music styles. Here's a couple passes of an old favorite: Byron Berline's "Huckleberry Hornpipe."