PDA

View Full Version : Latest Pomeroy F4 Shots

LKN2MYIS
Feb-19-2005, 7:50am
Couple of updated photos from Don. Masking and coloring take place the beginning of next week.

LKN2MYIS
Feb-19-2005, 7:51am
And finally

Scotti Adams
Feb-19-2005, 9:03am
..looks might fine, mighty fine...of course we have grown to learn not to expect any less from Mr. Brentrup....

LKN2MYIS
Feb-19-2005, 9:30am
I think you mean Mr. Don Paine of Pomeroy Instruments.

Scotti Adams
Feb-19-2005, 9:45am
...geessh...your right.....just wasnt awake yet when I posted that blooper..my apologies to all parties...

berkeleymando
Feb-19-2005, 1:38pm
That's absolutely gorgeous. You are one lucky fellow. You must be sitting on the edge of your chair every moment you look at that mandolin on your computer screen! The back looks slab cut, is that correct?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

LKN2MYIS
Feb-19-2005, 3:50pm
Trust me, I want Don to take ALL the time he wants on this instrument.

I can wait.

Yep.

Sugar maple.

recklessmando
Feb-19-2005, 5:36pm
That back is beautiful! Can't wait to see what it looks like with the finish on it. I'd sure like to play one of his F4's.

berkeleymando
Feb-19-2005, 7:34pm
I'd be curious to know about the neck design: is it elevated off the top of the mandolin or it directly attached to the top as was the case in the 1920s F4s? Also, you seem to have a 14 fret neck instead of shorter 12 fret scale of the vintage F4s. I'm not suggesting that you should, but rather just curious to know about the design choices. Looks great and I am sure she'll be a great mandolin.

LKN2MYIS
Feb-20-2005, 7:42am
Actually I'm not sure if it is elevated.

If you go to Don's web site, go to "gallery". Click on F-4.
You get a wide variety of close-up views of the instrument. That should answer your question.

It is a 14-fretter. On the "mandolin models" page of the web site, click on the F-4 to enlarge it. I think the 14-fret is his F-4 default design.

RECKLESSMANDO - where are you located? If you swing by Long Island, N.Y., you're welcome to stop by and give it a pick.

berkeleymando
Feb-20-2005, 1:41pm
LKN2MYIS, looking at his web site it would appear that the fingerboard is elevated off the top. In a different thread a Sawchyn F4 is shown that has the fingerboard directly attached to the top. Any of our luthier friends out there listening? I would love to hear comments about the respective fingerbaord designs. I don't know if one or the other is preferable, or if there are indeed signifiacnt differences in tone...?

LKN2MYIS
Feb-20-2005, 1:46pm
berkeleymando -

Don't know what the majority preference would be, but the elevated look is cool!

AndyEnglish
Feb-22-2005, 7:59am
I like the elevated fingerboard and my own mandolin is being made in this fashion by David Brown. He describes this style as oval holed f5, rather than f4 because of this.

LKN2MYIS
Feb-22-2005, 8:03am
Interesting.

Technical stuff aside, a scroll and an oval hole to me is an F4! I never take the fingerboard position into account.

To me, it's first blush impression.

mzbanjo
Feb-23-2005, 3:51pm
Any newer pics?

LKN2MYIS
Feb-24-2005, 12:15am
Nope.

Don's lasts note was that he was just finishing the stain.

It should be completed in the next few days, I believe.

If he sends me any updates, I'll be sure to post them.