PDA

View Full Version : Northfield F5

hippieNug
Oct-14-2013, 3:15pm
Everything I've heard has been great. Can anyone tell how they compare with say Webers or Collings? I have a Weber Coyote and I like it, not thinking about getting rid of it. I just feel that if I want a good F5 with a varnish finish that is under 5k then I should just take the plunge. I would likely sell my Kentucky KM805 to help cover it.

Who here has a Northfield? Tell me everything you love or not love about it.

Luckily I'll be in Nashville for a few days later this month so hopefully I can find one to test drive.

Cheers!

Links
Oct-14-2013, 3:41pm
I have two - both the traditional model and the model with modern specs. Both sound great and I can switch from one to the other and hardly know that I have changed either from their sound or physical characteristics. I really bought one of each thinking I would sell the one I liked least, but have not been able to make myself part with either. They are very consistent and my choice to play over some of my much more expensive instruments.

William Smith
Oct-14-2013, 4:42pm
I owned a traditional model 5 and it was a good one for the $, it was a few years ago when they came out and I got a real good deal on it. I think it was 2G but anyway everything was great about it, fit and finish, sound was real good out of the box and it just needed broken in. only reason I sold it was for funding for a Gilchrist 5. so being the low gal on the pole she just had to go.

hippieNug
Oct-14-2013, 4:51pm
The only real complaint I guess I would have is that it's Chinese. But from everything I've read and every sound clip I've heard I don't think that matters. They're building them right. I mean, Adam Steffy endorses.

Tobin
Oct-15-2013, 6:59am
Can anyone tell how they compare with say Webers or Collings?

I played the Northfield F5-S next to the Collings MF, and couldn't tell enough of a difference in tone or volume to be able to say that one was clearly better than the other. The main difference I noticed was in the feel of the neck and fingerboard, and other minor differences which come down purely to personal preference. Both were decent mandolins, but the Northfield was the better value, being priced much lower than the Collings.

drbluegrass
Oct-16-2013, 9:23am
Must be pretty darn good mandolins. No less than Adam Steffey (my favorite mandolin player) plays them. And I would venture to say he could have about any make he wanted and has likely played most of the ultra high end mandolins. He probably settled on Northfield for a reason/s. I LOVE my Red Diamond. But I'd like to compare it to a Northfield for the heck of it.

Tom

Givson
Oct-16-2013, 1:03pm
Must be pretty darn good mandolins. No less than Adam Steffey (my favorite mandolin player) plays them. And I would venture to say he could have about any make he wanted and has likely played most of the ultra high end mandolins. He probably settled on Northfield for a reason/s. I LOVE my Red Diamond. But I'd like to compare it to a Northfield for the heck of it.

Tom

I don't think Adam Steffey has ever "settled" on one mandolin. He's played and endorsed a slew of mandolins over the years - Gilchrist, Apitius, Gibson, Daley, Northfield - and he sounds like Adam Steffey on all of them. When I bought my Apitius from Elderly in 1994, Adam was playing an Apitius. Now he's playing a Northfield. Adam does have good taste in mandolins, and I imagine his playing a particular maker's instrument has probably sold a lot of instruments.

robert.najlis
Oct-16-2013, 1:55pm
I am curious with Adam Steffey's different mandolins, does he have the same setup on all of them? I see that Sim Daley has an Adam Steffey model with what are I assume, his personal preferences.
http://www.simdaley.com/AdamSteffey/AdamSteffey.html

almeriastrings
Oct-16-2013, 4:00pm
Start on page 41 and work backwards:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?66704-Northfield-mandolins/page41

They are a very fine mandolin. I think they are remarkable value (even after recent price increases). Always difficult to quantify this kind of thing...

Markelberry
Oct-17-2013, 8:00am
I love my Big Mon. I have owned Collings and it is great but more modern sounding to me still love em. I really like the Gibson sound and the Northfield is close but has its own voice

Markelberry
Oct-17-2013, 8:05am
I wouldn't and don't think a thing about where the guy lives who built it. I like that these are handmade by a very small team and you can tell a lot of care goes into the finished product. Besides there are Americans working as well and look what you get.

David Smith
Oct-17-2013, 10:05am
I purchased a Northfield F5S in July and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Took it to the Swananoa Gathering this past summer and had a chance to compare it with a lot of other instruments...Gibson F5L, Collings, Weber, Brock, as well as the Northfield being played by Emory Lester. Have to say she stood up against all comers. I was lucky to have Lyn Dudenbostel perform a set up. The little things he was able to do made the playing experience that much better. Northfield makes a great instrument and from what I can tell are holding value. I've only seen a handful come on the used market all selling for minimally less than original retail. The sound, fit, finish and price are all fantastic.

OldGus
Oct-17-2013, 10:15am
I don't think Adam Steffey has ever "settled" on one mandolin. He's played and endorsed a slew of mandolins over the years -

That's right, it's the new polygamy. The new primitive is when Adam is ready to kick someones butt if he doesn't get the IBMA player of the year award...

yankees1
Oct-17-2013, 3:48pm
I have the F5 with modern specs and it sounds and plays great with plenty of chop for Bluegrass.

mcgroup53
Oct-19-2013, 7:33am
I wouldn't and don't think a thing about where the guy lives who built it. I like that these are handmade by a very small team and you can tell a lot of care goes into the finished product. Besides there are Americans working as well and look what you get.

That's exactly right. The Northfield team includes some of the finest hand-craftsmen anywhere with decades of experience building fine instruments. They're superb instruments that can stand with the best made anywhere.