PDA

View Full Version : How can people create CDs?

Dick Dery
Oct-12-2013, 4:31pm
This isn't about microphones, amps, studios, software, etc.

What I'm really wondering is:

How can a person create a CD of traditional songs when, even though it's a "Traditional" piece, it's been arranged by someone, and the arrangement is copyrighted?

9lbShellhamer
Oct-12-2013, 5:08pm
I believe many old songs were passed down by ear before the time of recording...

In essence, they were like old stories, often changed ever so slightly as they traveled from one town to the next. No one really owned them, sure there was an original composer, but they didn't copyright the song and didn't care if someone learned it in the next town to play in a barn or around the front porch...

This is my modest understanding at least...hoping someone with a recording background or knowledge of trademark/copyright law can correct my assumptions.

Soldier's Joy for instance is over 200 years old...
Nine Pound Hammer is over 100 years old...
Some of these songs have been around longer than the US.

Most it seems are from the late 1800's and early 1900's, based on banjo fiddle riffs.

Charlieshafer
Oct-12-2013, 5:16pm
Make your own arrangement. I've always been a little suspicious of a copyrighted arrangement, and wonder how it would stand up in court. Just change it a little, though, and the copyright isn't valid. A bigger question is why would you bother to record a cd of someone else's arrangement. The whole point of recording a creative endeavor is to come up with your own arrangement.

Bill Snyder
Oct-12-2013, 5:21pm
Or contact the Harry Fox Agency. Pay them the royalty fees for the songs/number of CD's and off you go.